Ok, got a question- gonna sound stupid

I’m so happy. I downloaded VC++Express, and I already have the most recents SDK’s, I followed all directions for compiling JUCE, and IT WORKED!

Now, to use JUCE in a file, which file do I include? I can’t tell which one it created and since I’m still a novice, I don’t want to include the wrong one. Sorry if it sounds stupid. Please help so I can start twiddling with things. Cheers!

Koolkeys

well I know you have to include juce.h which should be in your /juce directory… is that what you are asking? you should trying building from the hello world example which has everything set up for you. That might be a bit easier.

I still can’t get that to compile. And for some reason I can’t find where to change it to release. I’m trying it again right now.

Koolkeys

in the solution explorer in the upper left… right-click the top most item. It’s say somethinglike “Solution ‘’ (1 project)”… select configuration manager from the drop-down… then you can tell it release/debug in there.

BTW, is that the reason it’s not compiling?

Ok, I found it. I’m not sure why it isn’t compiling. I’m redoing it as release right now. Then I’ll fire up the hello world. Is that the one that’s called “juce_application” or whatever?

Koolkeys

I think so…

I just pm’ed you, but I’ll put it here… did you get the odbc32 thing resolved?

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘odbc32.lib’

It gives me that error. I copied your files. I’ll recheck.

Koolkeys

make sure you added the directory…

tools -> options -> projects & solutions -> VC++ Directories … then select libraries and insert the “Microsoft SDK” directory on the top of the list.

does that work (assumming of course you haven’t already tried that…) :wink:

Am I adding it under the include directories or the LIbraries? Now I’m confused. Ugh.

Koolkeys

you need to add the include directories to include…

and you need to add the lib directory to libraries…

odbc32 is a library… it sounds like your includes are right.

you’re super CLOSE! :smiley:

Ok, I figured out my prob. I put the Microsoft SDK/Lib directory under the “Includes” directories instead of the Library one. That was my mistake. But now after I have it built with no errors, where can I see the results? Which file do I look for, or do I have to compile to an exe or what? This is more complicated than with Dev-c++ for me, so pardon my questions.

Koolkeys

ex of mine is “C:\program files\microsoft sdk\lib” and it’s added to the libraries… and I inserted it at the top of the lib entries pushing everything down… cos that’s what it said in jules’ docs.

WHEWWWWW! I GOT IT!!! I think I just woke somone up with excitement. Finally, I actually saw the “Hello World” I’m so in a utopia right now. Now to finish the sample editor for Valley! :lol: Thanks for your help Mod, I really appreciate it! Cheers!

Koolkeys

[quote=“koolkeys”]Ok, I figured out my prob. I put the Microsoft SDK/Lib directory under the “Includes” directories instead of the Library one. That was my mistake. But now after I have it built with no errors, where can I see the results? Which file do I look for, or do I have to compile to an exe or what? This is more complicated than with Dev-c++ for me, so pardon my questions.

Koolkeys[/quote]

depending on how you compiled it… VCEx creates a debug and a release directory inside of your project directory. The project sould be setup as an exe… so it’s sitting in one of those directories depending on how you compiled it.

Oh, and I saw the “release” folder in the same folder the project file was at. That’s where I found it!

Koolkeys

[quote=“koolkeys”]WHEWWWWW! I GOT IT!!! I think I just woke somone up with excitement. Finally, I actually saw the “Hello World” I’m so in a utopia right now. Now to finish the sample editor for Valley! :lol: Thanks for your help Mod, I really appreciate it! Cheers!

Koolkeys[/quote]

WHWHHHHHOOoooooOOOOoooTTTT!! That’s how I felt too!! heheheh… congrats! :smiley: :lol:

Why, thank you! I think I’ll take a bow, and thank my director, Mod! hehe, wow, it’s late! Oh, well, sleep can wait, I have inspiration now!

Koolkeys

1. yessireee!

As an added bonus, I also got the sample editor to compile and run. Wow, I feel proud! :lol: 8) 8) :lol: