I've fallen at the first hurdle

I’ll preface this with one simple sentence: I have no idea how to use JUCE, and I have never written code in my life.

With that in mind, I’ve just installed the free version of JUCE, created my account and installed the program, but it crashes almost immediately after putting in my login details.

I’m running the latest version of windows 10, and I get a generic windows error message whenever I try to run the program, any help would be much assisted.

It’s a steep hill to climb to try and write c++ code with no experience. But, having said that, do you have the latest version of JUCE from the github repo (https://github.com/WeAreROLI/JUCE)?

Have you installed Visual Studio?

Rail

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies.

cpr: Tried giving it a reinstall using the most recent version you linked to, still no luck I’m afraid. I’ll upload a screencap of the error message for reference:

Rail_Jon_Rogut I have not, though I’m not sure what you’re referring to. Could you post a link so I could give it a go please?

JUCE/Projucer on Windows isn’t going to be too useful if you don’t have Visual Studio installed. Projucer has some live coding features but I’ve been under the impression that stuff hasn’t really been done with Windows in mind. For actual development work you will just use the Projucer to create your basic project structure and export a Visual Studio solution/project, where you will be doing the development.

Also, jumping to attempting to use something like C++ and JUCE is going to be a rough ride if you’ve literally never done programming before. What are you planning to do? How did you end up wanting to try JUCE?

Ok, so stop what you’re doing with JUCE, and go search Google for “Getting Started with Visual Studio” first.
then search google for Teach Yourself C++
THEN after you get through all of the example projects and tutorials other people have written, come back and try to use JUCE and ProJucer again.

This thread should be locked @jules and a sticky thread should be made with a title like “If you’ve never written code before, start here…”. We are getting an awful lot of these types of threads these days, so a standard resource should probably be established for new Jucers with no experience.

Hey @matkatmusic,

We appreciate your input to the community. But be a bit more embracing to newcomers.
Sure, writing audio applications isn’t really for starters, but we have to start somewhere.

It is a part of the JUCE experience to get the needed tools together, so it is something, the community can and should be willing to help with.

So @NDBailey, as others suggested, install VisualStudio (there is a community version, i.e. free).

After that see again, if Projucer is working now.

There are two possible workflows:

a) do everything inside Projucer (works for simple GUI only things and need VisualStudio to compile anyway AFAIK)

b) setup your projects with the Projucer, then hit “Open in Development Environment” and continue coding in VisualStudio

Good luck!

@NDBailey since you have "never written code in your life"
Learn C++

I want to support the need for “First steps” tutorial which points out, what tools are needed to achieve what with JUCE.

It is true that this missing leads to a lot unnecessary repetitions, so DRY, please…
(and help the Community not to have to repeat themselves all the time…)

I’m pretty sure the minimum requirement is that you should have at least coded something before trying to use JUCE.

I disagree. I think JUCE is by far the best way to learn to code C++, especially for newcomers. I can’t think of any other library or project that can take you from looking at your desktop to writing something substantial (i.e. more than single-thread command line programs) in your platform’s IDE in shorter time. That positive feedback loop of getting results is critical to staying engaged when learning something difficult like C++.

Not to mention all of JUCE’s APIs are very readable/approachable. The whole homogeneous environment of interlocking fundamental building blocks that make up juce_core (or any other modules you bring in) feel much less daunting than the cryptic, data driven nature of the STL or the confusing mishmash of design patterns created by using a bunch of external libraries.

JUCE can be used for much more than audio, and I don’t think it’s fair to think that’s what an absolute beginner is absolutely after - and if they are they’ll quickly figure out on their own how crazy hard it is to get right, and either give up or push through. Either way they’ll learn a lot.

The last thing anyone on this forum should be doing though is pushing newcomers away! Perhaps a “Noob questions” (or the like) section should be added so as to not pollute the general JUCE discussion. Sometimes it feels like there’s an air of what I can only describe as “professional hostility” around here. We all had to learn how to compile code once…

Hello gents, thank you all for the replies. I understand this was a fairly self-explanatory question, so I apologise for that.

To everyone who asked why I’d be interested in JUCE at such a beginner level: I’m trying to recreate active noise cancellation algorithms as part of a third year dissertation project, and JUCE allows the sample-based processing I need.
The program itself was very appealing to me as it sits on top of the base code, meaning I would be able to learn C++ as I went along in a more streamline way than trying to learn the programming language independently.

Since posting my initial question however, I’ve since made the decision to move to Max for this project, as the “GEN~” object allows sample-based processing, and is now no longer exclusive to the full version of Max - something I did not know when I first posted the question.

Again, thank you all the help guys, if a moderator could go ahead and lock/delete this thread that would be great.