I’ve found compiling Juce and getting my evironment set up for it to be a bit difficult, especially since I reinstall and change OS’s often. So I thought I’d share how I did it just now on Kubuntu 6.10 (which should apply to most people on various Kubuntu versions, Ubuntu, or Debian).
I found I needed to get the following packages (apt-get or Adept Manager) to compile JUCE:
I am using Eclipse 3.2.x and the CDT (C development toolkit) and found the best way to setup the project is to first make a JUCE workspace with a standard (not managed) makefile C++ project. I imported the JUCE file structure.
In the juce/build/linux/platform_specific_code, I needed to change the path of juce_Config.h in many of the files. And somewhere in the code (I forget where), another include is messed up due to casing (some letter in an include is uppercase instead of lower).
Then I ran premake from the console with the command found in runpremake (this is all in juce/build/linux). Then I selected Project > Clean from the menu in Eclipse to build it.
Next I created my app’s workspace and project (used a standard makefile). I then moved the JUCE workspace into my app workspace. Next I right clicked my project in the tree on the left window, chose Properties > C/C++ Project Paths > Libraries > Add External Library and selected libjuce.a. I then created my premake.lua file like Jule’s Demo app’s premake file, changing the paths to match my system. Finally, I used Jule’s HelloWorld main.cpp file to test everything and changed the include path for juce.h. After running premake and cleaning from within Eclipse, it worked. Woot woot :0