Jucer: Mac OS X 10.6.2 crash


First of all: Thanks Julian for an awesome library. It looks really promising, and I’m currently evaluating it if it can be used in a cross platform product.

So, first time compiling “The Jucer” under xCode 10.6.2 and running it under the debugger. In the Jucer application, if I do the following:

  1. File, New Component
  2. Select the subcomponent tab
  3. Right click, select the “Edit background graphics” choice

…the following is displayed in the debugger:

2010-01-23 17:05:48.596 Jucer[36476:a0f] *** Assertion failure in -[NSMenu removeItem:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1038.25/Menus.subproj/NSMenu.m:664
JUCE Assertion failure in /Users/peter/Documents/workspace/juce/extras/the jucer/build/mac/…/…/src/…/…/…/juce_amalgamated.cpp, line 17140
Debugger() was called!

After this, the program will exit.

Similarly, if on step 3) trying to “New Text Button”, the following is displayed in the debugger:

objc[36511]: FREED(id): message removeItem: sent to freed object=0x861840
Program received signal: “EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION”.
sharedlibrary apply-load-rules all

I’m using the code as of from today (using GIT).

Any ideas?



Thanks, and welcome!

…but you’ve not said which version of juce you’re using… So before I even consider what you’re saying, please read this:

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

About the version, the debug output says “JUCE v1.50” and it’s “the tip” as was pulled off the repository yesterday.

Let me know if there is any other (version?) information you need.



Great, thanks!

That’s an interesting one - don’t know why I never saw it happen before, but it’s an easy fix, I’ll check it in later today. Cheers!

Hi again,

Just want to let you know that the initial problem I reported, now seems to have gone away.
However, if I select to create a “New Text Button” from the Subcomponents tab, The Jucer will crash with the following information seen in the debugger:

JUCE v1.50
Program received signal: “EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION”.
objc[39111]: FREED(id): message indexOfItem: sent to freed object=0x875010
sharedlibrary apply-load-rules all

I took the latest tip from the repo just before compiling and testing it out.


Hmm, I seem to have been having a bit of trouble with that method!

Ok, I’ve added another fix for it now, thanks!

Verified. Good job.
(Great support!)