Loading custom TTF fonts

I’m a bit new to JUCE, but an experienced iPhone developer. Just starting using JUCE for an iPad project and ran into a problem that I was hoping somebody would have some experience with.

I’m trying to load a custom TTF font that I would like to be embedded in the project and then use via the standard JUCE labels and drawing… but not sure how to make it available.

In my iPad build, I know how to load the font from the OSX application bundle and hence render glyphs from it in a typical OSX way:

CGFontRef loadFont() {
// Get the path to our custom font and create a data provider.
NSString *fontPath = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@“MySpecialFont” ofType:@“ttf”];
CGDataProviderRef fontDataProvider = CGDataProviderCreateWithFilename([fontPath UTF8String]);

// Create the font with the data provider, then release the data provider.
CGFontRef customFont = CGFontCreateWithDataProvider(fontDataProvider);
CGDataProviderRelease(fontDataProvider);
return customFont;
}

Is there a way I can add this to my JUCE application in a standard way? Ideally, we would would use the same mechanism for our windows build as well, but I would be happy enough just to get this working on the iPad build for a start.

I didn’t see a call to load a local font file in the JUCE API, but it is still a bit new to me, so I could have missed it. Are there API calls somewhere to load font files?

There’s nothing in there to load a platform-specific font (and I’m not sure if it’d be possible on Windows anyway), but you can save fonts into a juce-specific format and reload them from binary data without going near the plaform-specific font code at all, using the CustomTypeface class.

Great… this sounds like the right approach. We definitely want to keep everything in JUCE as much as possible. I’ll be giving this a try shortly, and I’ll be sure to report back any problems and hopefully solutions that we encounter on this adventure.

Actually, a couple follow-on questions:

1. Is there information on the JUCE font file format?

2. I was just experimenting with exporting the glyphs from the font set as SVG files using FontForge — this seems to work well, and produces simple SVG files which are simply elements containing a single element components mostly of quadratic bezier curves. Would this be a reasonable approach to import these elements into JUCE as Drawable elements? I’m going to experiment with this shortly, but if somebody predicts this will end badly, I would rather save the time.

The only info about the format would be for you to have a look in the code that reads and writes it! It’s pretty simple.

And yes, your SVG approach would work fine. A more direct way to do it might be to convert the drawable into a ValueTree, and store that as xml or binary.