Low latency audio supported by JUCE in VISTA?

To be honest, I’m really not in a hurry to install VISTA. I’ll wait as long as possible before doing so, but I was wondering if JUCE already supported the new low-latency driver scheme of VISTA?
I.e.could I write a JUCE app here on my XP machine, and when running it on VISTA, the additional low-latency drivers (sorry, I don’t know the real name of this audio driver architecture) would be displayed?

No, haven’t done that yet. When I get vista I guess I will do, but in the meantime there’s still asio + directsound.

I didn’t even know that ASIO still works under VISTA. That’s very good news! So I could basically take my old ASIO drivers for Windows XP (for my Delta 1010LT) and use them with VISTA?

nope

When will Vista be addressed. Vista has been out for a bit, Microsoft has announced the end of product life for XP as well as when support runs out. Do not look for OEm or XP availability beyond 2008, support runs out 2011. It is in everyone’s best interest to move forward with Vista as it relates to development frameworks, commercial apps, etc.

As a developer and corporate architect the writing is on the wall

Obviously it’s going to take over in future, but I’m not in a big hurry to destroy my very comfortable development machine by installing what sounds like a car-crash of an OS just yet!

Not sure where you get your info. Vista does have a number of inherent issues as well as a number of evolved development paradigms. Whether good or bad. XP has it’s fair share of issues as well. As a developer the only fairly stable OS platforms I have worked with are BSD variants and Linux variants. Achieving stability under Vista is understanding the libraries and issues upon which you will develop. This is a given.

Certainly entertaining the idea and beginning a port has it’s advantages versus a wait and see. Granted this becomes an issue of resource allocation and priorities.

Let’s be clear, I’m no advocate of Vista based on my experience with the fore mentioned OS. But I am cognizant that I have to keep a close eye on this market segment and align with Microsoft strategies and end of product life cycles to remain competitive in this domain. Even the companies that commercially license your framework understand this aspect and are working to address VST support in Vista, ASIO drivers, native 64-bit support etc.

I’m not being argumentative but countering a blanket statement being made about an OS which is and will continue to be present in the market as Microsoft’s product direction. Regardless of how people feel, it’s here, and the market will adapt, port, and develop apps for it.

So the question remains, what are the plans to address Vista? It’s your project, you are the project leader so what is your vision for such?

Aggh! My flippant response seems to have made you unleash a reply containing more corporate buzzwords than anything we’ve previously experienced on this forum, sorry! :wink:

So your question is: when will I leverage my existing development base by re-synergising my future audio strategy commitments along a more vista-centric paradigm that will enable us all to sync our forward growth to a win-win goal scenario?

Erm… when I get a vista machine is the honest answer… Or sooner if some juce users who’ve got vista will help out by testing stuff.

Shocking, that’s exactly what my first thought was on reading that post too! :lol:

Anyway, I was just wondering about one specific point he made: 64 bit binary support. I don’t particularly need it, but I remember reading somewhere that not all Carbon APIs are going to be ported with OS X Leopard. Basically all 64 bit GUI apps will need to use Cocoa. That sounds like it could be a problem with Juce. Thoughts?

Yeah, the loss of carbon support is a PITA. It’s not a show-stopper, but it means I’ll have to re-write most of the mac-specific code in objective-C, which will be a bit of a learning curve.

As far as Windows 64-bit goes, JUCE already works with only minor tweaking.

Windows 7 is planned for 2009 so I suspect large portions of the windows using world will sit this one out. Kind of like with Windows ME.

Jules: You made me chuckle and I appreciate that. My verbose posting was indeed very business in tone and your response was very well received by me.

The work you have done is tremendous and very much appreciated. Linux is where my heart is as is OS X. Vista is a thorn in my side as it is with many others I am sure. Having developed on all three platforms, Vista is by far the least stable and presents me with a daily challenge.

Thanks again for your response…

Thanks very much!

Hi Jules,

My top tip is to install Vista on your XP box, on top of XP as a VM, using the free Microsoft Virtual PC. I have used this in the past, debugged apps under it with devstudio, and it worked very well. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

For reasons that I fail to understand (!), this week I installed Vista on my wintel laptop, to upgrade XP, and it was a car-crash. Took 24 hours and I’m having to re-install everything from scratch. Erk!

HTH!

Pete

Ah, another glowing recommendation for vista! I’ve heard the same story from every person who’s tried it.

Looking into this vista audio stuff, it seems that a good solution might be for me to do WDM kernel streaming support, which works on XP and Vista (I think).

Update: I had so many problems with Vista that I totally restored the machine to Windows XP, and will re-install Vista as a Virtual Machine on either the Mac under Parallels or on Windows under Microsoft Virtual PC.

Another note: while BootCamp for XP on my MacBook has been brilliant, and is where I do almost all of my Windows programming (!), I had loads of trouble with the Parallels BootCamp feature; it managed to completely bork my Windows install (missing hal.dll, anyone?!) and has been a pig to unpick. When I next use parallels for Windows Xp or Vista, I’ll be sure to keep it well away from BootCamp. :slight_smile:

HTH!

Pete