Mac Standalone Plugin I/O Configuration Bug in 7.0.8

Hey guys,

Our company is looking to update the JUCE version of our plugin from 7.0.7 to 7.0.9, but we are finding that 7.0.8 introduced a bug on the Mac standalone plugin (only tested on M1 and M2, Ventura 13.5.1).

The bug no longer allows audio inputs and outputs to be configured independently. i.e. selecting an output device that is different to the input device.

We typically use a custom standalone filter window using JUCE_USE_CUSTOM_PLUGIN_STANDALONE_APP=1, but we’re also seeing this behaviour in all of our basic prototype plugins which use the default standalone window and audio settings. This bug is also replicable in the AudioPluginDemo.

It is worth noting at this point, that we’re unable to recreate the behaviour on Windows, and that both Windows Audio and ASIO appear to work as expected.

Is this an known issue? Or could this be something wrong on our end? As mentioned, we’re currently stuck on JUCE 7.0.7 as any update breaks this functionality.

Thanks in advance

We did make some changes to I/O selection post 7.0.9, that could actually affect you here.

Can you see if the problem persists using our current develop branch?

Hi Attila,

Thanks for your quick response.

My apologies, I should have checked the develop build before getting in touch. You are correct that this bug has been fixed with the post-7.0.9 development.

However, I’m now seeing that the native Mac window that holds the AudioDeviceSelectorComponent no longer has any title bar buttons, and therefore can’t be closed (unless esc is pressed). This is the same for our plugins and the JUCE demos. I’ve only quickly checked on Windows, and that appears to be unchanged.

Were these title buttons removed on purpose? We’re happy to roll our own window if necessary. This is how the AudioPluginDemo looks on Mac from develop currently:

Thanks again

Thanks for showing this. The disappearing title buttons is a bug. A fix is already being worked on.

Hi @attila,

When will this fix be released on the stable branch? Thank you.

1 Like

We do have plans for a point release soon, so ideally, less than a week.

2 Likes

A fix has been released for the disappearing close button on develop

Hey,

I just tried the latest version of the develop branch, and it seems there are still some intermittent issues with inputs and outputs being configured independently. Sometimes, when I select a device in either combo box, it updates the selection of the other one (but it appears the channel selection remains the same below).

This was recorded on a build with the latest commit in develop, in a standalone plugin build on M1, macOS 14.3.: