Mobile Audio Quality Index - Update

Hi everyone. What is the datetime of Mobile Audio Quality (MAQ) | JUCE test?
I’ve tested some audio application on Andriod systems Samsung S10 and Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite and audio latency is around 10ms glichness.
Now is enough to play in realtime without problems.
I think that maq test is quite old.

2 Likes

Crickets…

:rofl: :rofl:

Thank you t0m.
In my tests, tap to tone latency is around 10ms on Galaxy S10 and Mi10 Lite.
Article say: “20ms round-tip latency is required for Android professional audio apps, and 10ms remains the long term goal”
I think that it’s not a long term goal but already achieved or very close.
Moreover, 20ms isn’t enough to professional audio apps. I’m a musician and 20ms is not enough to play anything.
It seems these tests are never really up to date

In my tests, tap to tone latency is around 10ms on Galaxy S10 and Mi10 Lite.

10ms sounds way too low, the touch screen is usually is 20ms alone. What’s your test procedure?

I’m a musician and 20ms is not enough to play anything.

What do you mean? There are plenty of virtual instrument apps which are perfectly playable at <100ms tap-to-tone latency.

It seems these tests are never really up to date

The tests for the article were run in Jan 2021, mostly using data from Superpowered, plus a few manual verification tests using OboeTester.

Speaking about human feelings (fingers to ears measured in Jeremy Bearimy), I think that OBOE is performing its miracle… I have just finished my first audio App and I’m playing it from my USB-Midi master keyboard and it feels exactly like playing a VST or an Audio Unit on a Windows or Mac computer, no difference at all… At this point, IDK if it’s 20, 10 or 2 millisecond, all I feel is that I can play this instrument without being distracted by that “something’s wrong” thing.

The test is “my ears” after many years of playing with VST.
I also used a midi interface and DSP output generation and the latency is around 10 / 11ms using Oboe.
I’m talking about “midi input → DSP generation → audio output”.
Touching the plugin keyboard screen I ear the same latency.
On the other hand, it is impossible to play with a latency of <100 and> 20
Unless we’re talking about DeJay. But that’s not playing.
My ears tell me it’s better than those numbers. There is something inconsistent…