Modular project - an idea, some questions

Hey guys, just trowing some ideas here to see what I will come up with. :wink:

I’m working on a new project, and I was thinking on making it all modular. Each thing would be a VST, but process only 1 sample for each call, and each returned sample is one poly-voice. This way, anyone can do its own module with Juce but create it in VST or AU (MAC) format.

I haven’t tested this yet, so I don’t know if this would work. Another idea was to have each VST multiple outputs, one per voice, but I’m pretty sure that will use more CPU compared to having just a stereo or mono out and making the return sample-pointer contain the sample of each voice.

Any ideas on this?

The GUI is a whole new thing, as it would need to follow some specs, and I don’t know yet how it will work, but I’m thinking on something already… :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help. 8)

Best Regards, WilliamK

I haven’t tested this out yet, but it looks like the best way to do this is to have each module output each voice on its own channel. The only problem is for 128 voices stereo channels, which would produce 256 channels. I don’t know how Juce handles that, if each channel will produce a CPU hit… :shock: For a 16 voice (mono channels) it shouldn’t be a problem, but for a 128 stereo channel… (for example, a stereo piano sound)

The rest I got, its pretty easy to support, no problem…