Multi-mono with different processing per channel

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if a mono-in, mono-out plugin that is being used in a multi-mono instance can have different processing for the different channels? It would be useful for my purposes if each of the mono instances could detect what channel it was processing (or that the channel is different from other channels) and alter the processing for that mono instance.

Sean Costello

Bumping after almost 7 years.

I’ll rephrase the question: Can a multi-mono plugin have any awareness of what audio channel a given audio instance is processing? It doesn’t have to be all that smart in my case: just knowing that it is channel “A” or “3” or whatever is enough, so that the plugin can choose some internal options.

I haven’t specifically gone looking for this functionality, but I’ve also spent a reasonable amount of time digging through channel configuration APIs for both VST3 and AU plugins, and I’ve never noticed anything like this. This functionality doesn’t exist in JUCE, and I’m unsure whether it’s implementable using the AU/VST3 APIs.

Good to know. A follow up question: is there a way of knowing whether a given plugin instance is in multimono mode, versus just a straight up mono-in/mono-out plugin?

Not that I know of, no

1 Like