Need help, Jules is asked here

Hello everybody !

Ok, I will tell you my problem as quickly as possible : I’m working on a midi drum loop manager, it will be functionnal very soon, but I have a great problem…

My soft is based on a future folder full of midi files, of 2-5 measures maximum, of 4 types : intro, fills, breaks and outros. Then, the soft plays these files in an order calculated randomly with a lot of control, to make improvisations or to compose faster.

I have downloaded a lot of midi files and i need to cut them into fills, breaks etc to use them in my soft. The problem is I have not found a soft that is very useful for that…

Tracktion is great, but its midi export function is very bad, the result is not midi compatible, impossible to read with some programs etc. Cubase SX works, but it’s very boring to change the tempo and signature for each file i need to export (I must put the part I have cut in the beginning and deplace the automation of tempo and signature for each part…). I have tried a lot of free midi sequencers, they are useless, and some others which are not free (like EnergyXT, Acid or Live 4) and they are not good at all for that…

I’m blocked. And it’s problematic too because I want people can easily create their own patterns in my program with their own midi files, and if i can’t do it easily, it’s the same thing for them later.

So I don’t have too much solutions… And that’s here I need your help in particular Jules…

First solution : programming a full midi sequencer. In 3 years I won’t have finished it :lol:

Second solution : create a soft that do the cut of each part, before every time/signature change for example. So I still need another sequencer to insert the changes where I want to cut the parts… A bit boring…

Third solution : Tracktion 2 will have a midi export fully functionnal. That should be great, I need precisions there or I need to wait the demo… And the last but not the worst…

Fourth and most important solution : adding a function in my soft that get in the clipboard a midi clip copied from Tracktion and save it on the hard disk. I have seen the clipboards functions in Juce are very limited so I don’t know how I must do… Do you think it’s possible to do this Jules ? And what do you think of everything ? If you want, I can post a version of my soft before the end of this week if you want to check…

So I’m waiting for your help. I can’t do anything for now :frowning:

(Sorry for my english, I’m french :lol: )

correct me if i’m wrong on this but i think tracktion’s clipboard is internal and not the windows one. if this is the case then i don’t think you can access it from another program. as for a good midi editor the only one i know of is anvil studio (http://www.anvilstudio.com).

Yes it’s possible… :shock: So what i want to do is impossible with the clipboard…

About Anvil Studio, I have tried it yet, I don’t like it too much, it’s really boring to cut the parts I need into a new file with the right tempo and signature…

i figured it would be but its the only midi editor i know :stuck_out_tongue: