New to JUCE, having some features questions

Hello there,

I spent almost three weeks looking for a crossplatform gui toolkit for a skinned app and finally found something that seems to fit my needs: JUCE !

But I have some questions, as I am wondering if this is not a dream where JUCE make everything easy :smiley:

• Any idea on when there will be a support for non-rectangular windows ? this is what I need the most…

• Does JUCE has a notion of containers/handles, I mean on win32 we use handles, so we can use this handle to display a video for example, using a directdraw surface like with a directshow video renderer. Can we use the hardware acceleration (the overlay) to draw over a JUCE app ?

• What kind of components/widgets JUCE support ? Is there Listviews ? Or is is possible to write our own widgets ? (I guess so, but is that hard and boring ?)

• Does JUCE really allow the concept of skinning ? From what I’ve seen with the demo app, it is possible, we can use bitmap or png for button, just hoping I’m not wrong. Is this possible for all widgets ? Scrollbars, sliders, etc.

• It is possible to have a different look&feel depending on the window ? Like having a similar OS native look for the options, but a free-style for the rest of the app ?

• JUCE really allow to write an app and port it to the other OS with those features or am I still dreaming ? :shock:

Thanks in advance for the feedback :wink: I really hope that I will stay there and finally decide to build my app with JUCE ! 8)

Just make a new component that draws rounded borders instead of rectangular ones.

All sorts, and making new components is very easy.

Yes, JUCE has look and feel support which means you can redefine how components are drawn completely.

yup :smiley:

Welcome aboard.

And the remaining two:

You can build juce with quicktime support so you can play your videos. However, if you want to play them using the DirectShow layer, then you should be able to init it as usual, setting the display overlay colour to what you want, then just make a component use that colour and position the directshow layer to be in the same desktop position as the component.

Every single component you create can have it’s own distinct LnF and can be set individually, however, if you want an OS looking one you will have to create it yourself as JUCE does not use any native OS widgits/components/Objects/etc… that you would use in, say, an MFC app. You can however make an MFC app and have some windows be MFC and some by Juce Components, but they can not be mixed inside the same window.

Many thanks for the feedback ! I think I’m going to adopt JUCE :smiley:

It is a very nice API, you will love it. :slight_smile:
It is what MFC should of been in the first place. >.>

I wish people would stop swearing around here. It lowers the tone and may frighten off the potential members.

Can we get that word automatically garbled like fuck and cunt on KVR?

I intend to teach my children the joys of JUCE and, well, I’d like to see this a safe place where they would not be exposed to such language.

:wink:

I wish people would stop swearing around here. It lowers the tone and may frighten off the potential members.

Can we get that word automatically garbled like fuck and cunt on KVR?

I intend to teach my children the joys of JUCE and, well, I’d like to see this a safe place where they would not be exposed to such language.

:wink:[/quote]

Lol, I don’t know why, but I can’t stop chuckling since I read that, and yea, I agree, MF* is a horrid piece of programming, a lay-over from the time of Windows 3… :roll: