No way to set components of a PixelRGB?

It seems there’s no way to individually set the colour components of PixelRGB and PixelARGB.

This is a shame, because the only efficient way to leverage the blend() and other functions is to cast a local array of uint[3] to a PixelRGB*, which looks like ass.

I guess I just never needed to do that, so never added it. I’ve no objection to adding setR(), setG() etc

It’d be convenient if the data members were simply made public. This is my code now:

void operator () (uint8* dest, uint8 const* src) const
  {
    uint8 result[3];

result[0] = uint8 (m_mode (src[0], dest[0]));
    result[1] = uint8 (m_mode (src[1], dest[1]));
    result[2] = uint8 (m_mode (src[2], dest[2]));

((PixelRGB*)dest)->blend (*((PixelRGB*)result), m_alpha);
  }

I would use “PixelRGB result” instead of uint8[3].

Seconded

It’s not quite that simple - in PixelARGB the components are held inside a union via a struct, which is different from PixelRGB, so just exposing the members would be both messy and inconsistent in the different pixel classes.

How about an “inline uint8& getRed()” to return a reference you can write to?

That works too

Already checked in :slight_smile:

Question about the in-memory layout of ARGB pixels. Given:

uint8 pixel [4];

where pixel represents an ARGB pixel, is it the case for all platforms that pixel[0] == blue, and pixel[3] == alpha?

[quote=“TheVinn”]Question about the in-memory layout of ARGB pixels. Given:

uint8 pixel [4];

where pixel represents an ARGB pixel, is it the case for all platforms that pixel[0] == blue, and pixel[3] == alpha?[/quote]

No, there are endianness differences. That’s why I always use the PixelARGB as a wrapper around the components.

Well it looks like these colour component accessor functions have arrived just in time then!

I hate to bring up such a nitpick but would you be horribly opposed to adding another extra set of accessors using only the first letter (R, G, B) instead of the full colour name? i.e.

uint8& PixelRGB::getA ()
uint8& PixelRGB::getR ()
uint8& PixelRGB::getG ()
uint8& PixelRGB::getB ()

This way blending code lines up without having to add whitespace

Oh come on! Honestly, I’ve got better things to do!