Override handleCanPlugInDo?

We’re working on supporting a feature from a major manufacturer, but an NDA is preventing me from disclosing more. In the SDK that they sent us, we need to be able to respond to a canDo call with a special String from their host.

The VSTCallbackHandler allows us to easily handle the rest of the SDK. canDo is our only roadblock.

Can we have a similar function in the VSTWrapper’s handleCanPlugInDo so that we can respond to some other String?

EDIT: Just for clarification, I’m looking at this function. I would need to be able to add a “if (matches(“foo”)) return 1;”

We ended up modifying our local copies. Is this something that can make its way into a future release?

Also had to do the same here, and modify our local copy. Would like to see this in a future release as well.

Same here, we had to patch our local copy for the canDo stuff.

How did you get to override the AudioEffectX?

Make Plugin Processor inherit from “public VSTCallbackHandler”. Override

virtual pointer_sized_int handleVstManufacturerSpecific(int32 index, pointer_sized_int value, void *ptr, float opt) override;

We’re under NDA, so I’ve obscured the code. I assume that you’re working on integrating the same library. Feel free to message me if that’s the case.

pointer_sized_int UAPluginProcessor::handleVstManufacturerSpecific(int32 index, pointer_sized_int value, void *ptr, float opt)
{
#ifdef SUPPORTS_VOLDEMORT
	return voldemortResponse(index, value, ptr, opt);
#else
	return 0;
#endif
}

EDIT: The other part involves editing juce_VST_Wrapper.cpp. Line 1954:

pointer_sized_int handleCanPlugInDo (VstOpCodeArguments args)
    {
        auto text = (const char*) args.ptr;
        auto matches = [=](const char* s) { return strcmp (text, s) == 0; };
        #if SUPPORTS_VOLDEMORT
        if (matches("VOLDEMORTCallbacks")) return 1;
        #endif

return 0;
    }

It looks like I can’t message you directly, so I’m going to tell you here: Thanks a lot!

I did already implement this but, it still doesn’t work on runtime…

Again thanks a lot, I’ll keep looking.
Cheers

Just sent you a message!

As a heads up to everyone else in this thread, JUCE 5.3.2 now has handleVstPluginCanDo in the VSTCallbackHandler class:
https://docs.juce.com/master/structVSTCallbackHandler.html

One less hack in our local branches! :champagne:

@ohmforce, @tlongabaugh, @jpo

And it works like a charm :slight_smile:
Here some code snippets as an example implementation:

PluginProcessor.h:
Inheriting from VSTCallbackHandler:
class StereoEncoderAudioProcessor : public AudioProcessor, public VSTCallbackHandler

overriding methods:

pointer_sized_int handleVstManufacturerSpecific (int32 index, pointer_sized_int value,
                                                     void* ptr, float opt) override { return 0; };
pointer_sized_int handleVstPluginCanDo (int32 index, pointer_sized_int value,
                                            void* ptr, float opt) override;

PluginProcessor.cpp:

E.g. implementing Reaper’s recently supported wantsChannelCountNotifications canDo

pointer_sized_int StereoEncoderAudioProcessor::handleVstPluginCanDo (int32 index,
                                        pointer_sized_int value, void* ptr, float opt)
{
    auto text = (const char*) ptr;
    auto matches = [=](const char* s) { return strcmp (text, s) == 0; };

if (matches ("wantsChannelCountNotifications"))
        return 1;
    return 0;
}

VST does not receive update in channel count with Reaper

Hello!

I’m using JUCE 5.2.1 and I have cherry-picked the commit

Added a “plug-in can do” callback to the VSTCallbackHandler interface

so I can handle vendor specific vst host->plugin “can do” callbacks.

I have implemented (override) the virtual methods of the VSTCallbackHandler ( handleVstPluginCanDo and handleVstManufacturerSpecific ) as public methods of my PluginProcessor.

When the handleCanPlugInDo method of the JuceVSTWrapper class receives unhandled plug-in “can do” calls from the host, the

auto callbackHandler = dynamic_cast<VSTCallbackHandler*> (processor)

returns a NULL pointer, so the

if (auto callbackHandler = dynamic_cast<VSTCallbackHandler*> (processor)) return callbackHandler->handleVstPluginCanDo (args.index, args.value, args.ptr, args.opt);

doesn’t call the handleVstPluginCanDo method.

Any idea why? Maybe I’ve missed some other commits after the tag 5.2.1 that I need to cherry pick before the Added a "plug-in can do" callback to the VSTCallbackHandler interface commit?

Thanks!

I found the problem! My code was:

PluginProcessor.h:
class MyAudioProcessor : public AudioProcessor, VSTCallbackHandler

and it needs to be:

PluginProcessor.h:
class MyAudioProcessor : public AudioProcessor, public VSTCallbackHandler