Plug-in archeology & updating older plug-ins to JUCE

I’m on a bit of a mission to preserve older audio plug-ins, by rewriting them in modern C++ and JUCE, documenting how they work, and making them open source.

So far I’ve mostly done this for the MDA plug-in suite and a few Airwindows plug-ins:

I’m looking for other “old” plug-ins to do this for. It’s OK if the source code for these plug-ins is not available (in particular, I’m interested in previously commercial products although freeware is welcome too). The idea is to contact the original developers and ask them to donate their old code as open source.

Too many cool plug-ins have already slipped into obscurity because they no longer run on modern computers. My main goal is to preserve the audio programming knowledge contained in these abandoned plug-ins, and to make this knowledge accessible to the next generation of audio developers. As a side benefit, these plug-ins get a second life.

Unfortunately, the developers of the plug-ins of yesteryear have often moved on and are hard to reach. I haven’t had a lot of success so far, so I’m asking here for some assistance.

If anyone here has a favorite old plug-in they’d like to see updated, let me know and I’ll try to contact the authors. Or better, if you are the author of such a plug-in and would like to open source it, hit me up!

7 Likes

This was never built as 64 bit for Windows by the author and if a build for Mac exists, it’s probably hopelessly outdated now :

https://www.niallmoody.com/ndcplugs/fragmental.htm

Might be an interesting “little” project to look into for modernizing. (The source code is available.)

1 Like

Thanks, that looks like an interesting plug-in, plus the website has a few other fun ones as well.