Program change bug in JUCE VST3 wrapper (v5.0.2)?

Hi all,

I think there’s a little bug in the JUCE VST3 wrapper that causes erratic behaviour when handling presets.

In line 461 of juce_VST3_Wrapper.cpp, we convert the (integer) program number to a floating point representation [0, 1]:

setParamNormalized (paramPreset, static_castVst::ParamValue (pluginInstance->getCurrentProgram()) / static_castVst::ParamValue (numPrograms - 1));

Then in line 1891, we do the inverse, taking the float [0,1] and mapping it back to an integer program number:
const int numPrograms = pluginInstance->getNumPrograms();
const int programValue = roundToInt (value * numPrograms);

This mapping seems to cause the wrong integer program number as we divide by (numPrograms-1) but multiply by (numPrograms) instead of (numPrograms-1). Shouldn’t this be symmetric?

I have seen cases where Cubase reads the program number and writes it back again a little later (and has the intermediate float representation) whenever an ‘updateHostDisplay()’ is called, randomly changing presets due to the above.

btw the scaling issue is present in both the master as well as the develop branch.

Furthermore, if I change it to const int programValue = roundToInt(value * (numPrograms-1)), the erratic program switching issues related to VST3 presets disappear and everything seems to work as expected.

Could you guys please confirm that scaling by (numPrograms-1) is indeed the intended behavior?

Thank you for reporting this bug. This is now fixed on the develop branch with commit 4b4b171.

Awesome, thanks Fabian!