Question on writing / reading ValueTree binary files

Hello. My (simple) write and read code looks like this:

void Resources::saveButtonPressed()
{
FileChooser fC (“Choose a file to save…”, File::getSpecialLocation (File::userHomeDirectory), “*”, true);

if (fC.browseForFileToSave (true))
{
    FileOutputStream* fOS = fC.getResult().withFileExtension (".isf").createOutputStream();
    mainVT.writeToStream (*fOS); 
    fOS->flush();
    fOS = nullptr;
}

}

void Resources::loadButtonPressed()
{
FileChooser fC (“Select File…”, File::getSpecialLocation (File::userHomeDirectory), “*.isf”, true);

if (fC.browseForFileToOpen())
{
    FileInputStream* fIS = fC.getResult().createInputStream();
    mainVT.readFromStream (*fIS);
    fIS = nullptr;
}

}

This writes a file, but when I’ve read the tree, it doesn’t come up with the saved values that go along with the properties. The file looks like this opened in TextEditor:

mainVTtransportInterfaceVTet0BPMPerc Y@t0BPMFreeSet ^@t1BPMPerc Y@t1BPMFreeSet ^@t2BPMPerc Y@t2BPMFreeSet ^@t3BPMPerc Y@t3BPMFreeSet ^@t4BPMPerc Y@t4BPMFreeSet ^@t5BPMPerc Y@t5BPMFreeSet ^@t6BPMPerc Y@t6BPMFreeSet ^@t7BPMPerc Y@t7BPMFreeSet ^@t8BPMPerc Y@t8BPMFreeSet ^@t0Modet1Modet2Modet3Modet4Modet5Modet6Modet7Modet8Mode

So it appears that the properties have been saved, but the var values aren’t being loaded. Can anyone help? Thank you

Maybe start by learning about managing object lifetimes in c++ - the code you posted just leaks all your stream objects, so if all your code is written that way there could be any number of other errors in there.

This was really just code to start testing it out, I presumed by setting the stream to nullptr after using it, the lifetime would be ended. I’m not used to using stream objects at all.

Setting the streams to scoped pointers doesnt seem to help.

{
FileChooser fC (“Choose a file to save…”, File::getSpecialLocation (File::userHomeDirectory), “*”, true);

{
    ScopedPointer <FileOutputStream> fOS = fC.getResult().withFileExtension (".isf").createOutputStream();
    fOS->flush();
    fOS.release();
}

}

{
FileChooser fC (“Select File…”, File::getSpecialLocation (File::userHomeDirectory), “*.isf”, true);

{
    ScopedPointer <FileInputStream> fIS = fC.getResult().createInputStream();
    mainVT.readFromStream (*fIS);
    fIS.release();
}

}

readFromStream is a static function, which returns the new ValueTree

something like:

ValueTree newValueTree (ValueTree::readFromStream(*fIS));
if (newValueTree.isValid())
{
   mainVT=newValueTree;
};

Ah that sounds like it makes sense. Sadly it hasn’t fixed the issue, but I have altered my code to reflect this:

{

{
    ScopedPointer <FileOutputStream> fOS = fC.getResult().withFileExtension (".isf").createOutputStream();
    fOS->flush();
    fOS.release();
}

}

{

{
    ScopedPointer <FileInputStream> fIS = fC.getResult().createInputStream();
    ValueTree newValueTree (ValueTree::readFromStream (*fIS));

if (newValueTree.isValid()) mainVT = newValueTree;
    else std::cout << "Not Valid" << std::endl;

fIS.release();
}

}

By the look of the Text File, it looks like the property names are written, but not the values. Is this presumption correct? If so, how is the save not working?

its a binary file, if the properties are numbers, you not see them in a texteditor as decimal numbers,

Fair enough. I’ll keep on digging on the problem then. It makes it tricky when I’m not sure whether it’s the write or read that’s not working!

This is actually the opposite of what you want:

ScopedPointer::release():
Removes the current object from this ScopedPointer without deleting it.
This will return the current object, and set the ScopedPointer to a null pointer.

You either do nothing, then the opject is deleted when the ScopedPointer object goes out of scope (hence the name), or you call fIs = nullptr; to enforce deletion at a specific point inside of the scope.

To your actual problem: does “isValid()” evaluate to true or not?
ValueTree::getProperty() returns an object of type var, so look there how to use this values…

Good luck