Questions paint() resized() and AnimatedAppComponent

Hello I have some questions about the topics in the title:

1. Is the paint function repeadetly called in a loop somewhere or is it only called when resized() has been triggered?

2. I tried around with the whole ui-component-nested-hierarchy thingy. Everything worked fine until I turned one of my child components into a class that is derived from AnimatedAppComponent instead of just Component. I wanted to animate some basic geometry(like in the tutorial).
    Only an instance of that class inside my MainComponent worked fine. It animated an ellipse in a simple sinusoidal way. However as soon as I brought in other components (derived from the normal component class) the background went black and nothing worked anymore.

I integrated the update() and everything, in fact I basically stole the class from the Animating Geometry tutorial.
Is there maybe something I have to care about with the AnimatedAppComponent? For ex.: If used, must it then be my MainComponent that is derived from it or something?
Theres nothing about it in the tutorial though and the class doc also has no warning.
I also tried changing the order in which the different components were added and made visible. Nothing made a difference.

paint() is called whenever the given Component is flagged as needing a repaint. This happens automatically when the component is resized (and various other times) and can be done manually by calling repaint().

juce::AnimatedAppComponent is typically only used for top-level components in a project. I can’t say exactly why you’re experiencing the error you described but I would start by not using juce::AnimatedAppComponent.

If you want a component to be repainted regularly you could use a juce::Timer, like so:

class MyAnimatedComponent : public juce::Component,
                            public juce::Timer
{
public:
    MyAnimatedComponent()
    {
        startTimerHz (60);
    }

private:
    void paint(juce::Graphics& g) override
    {
        // ...
    }

void timerCallback() override
    {
        repaint();
    }
};

Ok great, then I will in future just skip the “unnecessary middle-man” AnimatedAppComponent and use Timer instead. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, that’s a good way. The only thing to take away from looking in the AnimatedAppComponent is to update your model in the timer, not in the paint(). The intervals of paint() are non deterministic, while the timerCallback is (within the limits of the Timer/MessageManager accuracy).

void timerCallBack() override
{
    advanceModel();
    repaint();
}

But that is really not reason enough to use that class.

2 Likes

Speaking about timer accuracy… I know this is a little bit above my skill level right now anyways but I started wondering which kind of timer one would use for something like an arpeggiator or sequencer…

In that case no timer at all. A timer fires in real time, e.g. against the wall clock.

MIDI events are timestamped against the audio clock, and that is what you have to synchronise to.
Audio clock means simply counting samples.

We speak of realtime processing, but that is misleading. Actually we execute a callback that needs to produce enough samples until the next callback occurs. But the callback is not actually running during the whole time span.

Hope that helps

1 Like

That went right over my head haha
I think I better practice more and come back to those topics when I´m really ready.

Thanks anyways!