Release Date for the DSP Module

Hello,

I would like to know if there are any information about the mysterious DSP module from Juce 4 ?

Will it be released in 2015 ?

Thanks,

Louis

Nope, it will be Q1 2016. (I asked this in the new licence thread)

But can anyone of the JUCE team spoiler some features? Does it have a fast FFT or even a convolution engine?

We are working on the following features for the DSP module:

• convolution engine
  • fast FFT engine
  • SIMD/neon accelerated vector operations (similar to FloatVectorOperations) for int, floats, doubles and complex numbers
  • fast delay lines and circular buffers
  • various biquad style filters
  • fast versions of common math functions
  • Polynomial class

Note, however, that any feature mentioned above is still subject to change.

Awesome. Delay lines and convolution are the only things why I still need other frameworks (currently wdl and stk), so getting rid of these dependancies will clean my code base.

Does your convolution engine support zero latency and multithreaded partial convolution? AFAIK there are some patents lying around which prevent open source development of really efficient convolution code.

Sounds awesome !

any Updates on the release of the DSP module? I'm really looking forward to play with it.

Hi, I’m just getting into Juce and I was wondering if there were any updates on this DSP library? I’m looking forward to the convolution engine, and was hoping not to have to go and and grab wdl to bring that in. Any updates?

Unfortunately it’s practically vaporware at this point. There are mumbles about it once in a while (and its future inclusion was a big selling point of JUCE 4), but there’s no real news about it.

If I needed a convolution engine right now I wouldn’t hold my breath, a solid option is to wrap/rewrite WDL’s convolution as a standalone AudioProcessor object.

I stripped down WDL to everything that is needed for the convolution and hacked around in the engine to support IPP when available and VDSP on OSX / iOS. Works fine for me here.

Any new news about the DSP module?

Note, however, that any feature mentioned above is still subject to change.

Is my understanding correct that all of these features mentioned above were indeed changed to not be included?

If you need a fast and Open Source DSP library, there are options available, like my Audio ToolKit. BSD licensed, so no worries there.

I also found the icstdsp library to be of good use for some DSP stuff.

For me it’s mostly just a nice-to-have. For example I already use another library for FFT and different custom in-house code for rather generic stuff which would be nice to get in JUCE and with JUCE’s seal of API quality etc…

Got a working link? The download leads to a 404.

Is it dependant on any 3rd party libraries? Is it compatible with iOS and Android?

Which dowload link? You can get the code on https://github.com/mbrucher/AudioTK
Depends on a few Boost headers for alignement and unit tests, Eigen for the most complex modeling plugins, FFTW or IPP for FFT.
Should be compatible for iOS and Android, I did build it for embedded systems, but never had to use it there.

Ah, sorry I mistook chrisboy2000’s link above as the link to your work.

Thanks for the details, and the link! I’ll be checking it out sometime soon.

This workshop will cover the basic of filtering and use cases covering a range of classes available in the JUCE DSP module (to be released 27th July).

IT’S HAPPENING

Good catch. I was starting to wonder if someone ever read our e-mails :wink:

You are releasing the DSP module?
Thats great news. Looking forward :slight_smile: