RTAS Outputs

I’m sure I’m just being stupid but my plugin does not get listed in Pro Tools with this config:

#define JucePlugin_MaxNumInputChannels 2
#define JucePlugin_MaxNumOutputChannels 16
#define JucePlugin_PreferredChannelConfigurations {2, 16}

It does get listed with this:

#define JucePlugin_MaxNumInputChannels 2
#define JucePlugin_MaxNumOutputChannels 2
#define JucePlugin_PreferredChannelConfigurations {2, 2}

Can anyone help out?

Hi,

Unfortunately, you can’t make an RTAS with a {2,16} I/O config. Pro Tools doesn’t support arbitrary numbers of I/O channels. The input and output are defined in terms of “stem formats” that imply how many channels they have, with the largest stem format being 7.1 = 8 channels.

If you look at getFormatForChans() in the Juce RTAS wrapper you’ll see that it returns ePlugIn_StemFormat_Generic if you set the number of channels >8. I believe this format is actually intended for plugins that can operate on different formats without regard to the channel designations (L,C,R,Ls,Rs etc.). In this case, both input and output must be declared with the Generic stem format (which they wouldn’t be in your example) and expect equal numbers of channels.

Another consideration is whether you’re running Pro Tools HD. Only Mono and Stereo are supported in Pro Tools LE/SE/M-powered (or “Pro Tools” with no letters from PT9 onwards). That is unless you have Complete Production Toolkit, which doesn’t work with SE or MP.

Hope this helps.

That helped a lot, thank you so much!