Serious issue with TextEditor: TextEditor and non-roman characters

Are there any plans to make this work?

Even the JUCE demo doesn’t support japanese text entry.

Open the properties editor demo app on the Mac for example, and paste わたし into it. You get garbage.

3 Likes

For our japanese translations, we always install another font along with our plugins. It may just be a font issue.

1 Like

It just ignores the whole fallback font thing. We could fix it by swapping the font entirely I guess, but I can’t help feeling it shoudl just use the OS fallback fonts properly so it can display any language without the user having to install/select a specific langauge support.

3 Likes

TextLayout FTW !

Yes - but TextEditor doesn’t use it :slight_smile:

@ed95 Can we get some feedback from team JUCE on this?

It’s been an issue since 2008 … maybe?

6 Likes

bump!

1 Like

bump!

2 Likes

bump!

2 Likes

bump!

1 Like

We can put this on the backlog but the team is pretty swamped right now so it’s unlikely to get looked at soon. Sorry!

Ok - I mainly wanted to know:

• Am I doing something wrong or is it really broken? I think it’s really broken.
  • Are you going to look at it any time soon, otherwise we will need to get someone to patch TextEditor which I think will be unpleasant.

It does seem like it ought to be pretty important though :slight_smile:

From your post and the other forum posts it seems like it’s an issue with TextEditor so patching that seems like the way to go. Like I said, it’s unlikely that we’ll be able to look into it soon but if you find a way to get it working we’d be happy to look at a patch!

A proper font fallback would be so helpful, but i mentioned this in the last couple of years (read 10) a few of times already. We all understand you guys are very busy, but features like this, that actually once worked, are so fundamental that it should actually be on the top of the list not the bottom.

8 Likes

That would really simplify fixing TextEditor

1 Like

I could swap you for some really sexy upgrades to ScrollBar we have. TextEditor is slightly scary. :). Does it do centered text yet, I remember thinking about that once and it took an hour to figure out which way up to hold hte source code to read it…

2 Likes