Single Sign On Web Component View Oauth for plugin licensing

What do you guys think about plugin licenses using single sign on and the web component. basic idea disable the plugin until the user signs in to their google account (store for however many weeks so they don’t have to login everytime), and for plugin demos only allow one instance of the plugin to be loaded into the host once they purchase a license they can use unlimited instances. Access token will be store on disk and used to check that they are the only ones using the plugin. I’m looking into it will update if i find a full proof way.

I’m pretty sure you could do this without a full-blown WebBrowserComponent, which might be overkill for what you’re trying to do. Authentication could be achieved with the URL class or maybe something higher level like @adamski’s RestRequest. A simple UI could be done with e.g. TextEditor and TextButton. I’d only suggest using WebBrowserComponent if you also want a web-based UI.

Thanks for the advice Jamie. I will look into it. I saw that there was OAuth issue open in the Rest Request link so might be a little less work then I thought .

I’ve done OAuth support many times now and can safely say that that much is straightforward in C++ land. JUCE’s URL and JSON classes combined will do everything you need.

and for plugin demos only allow one instance of the plugin to be loaded into the host once they purchase a license they can use unlimited instances.

I understand the intent here, but it’s really the host doing the managing of plugins. You don’t have the option to tell the host to conditionally cut loading out so it’s up to your plugin to deal with the situation independently.

Yeah maybe it was a stretch but I was thinking just a splash screen covering up the plugin with a link to purchase a full license

its also worth noting that some plugin developers don’t have any DRM in their plugins, and claim that it saves them a lot of hassle without affecting their sales negatively.

Yeah for sure Cthulhu by xfer and lfo tool by xfer do not have drm but I really like the way sylenth3 did it. I don’t plan on selling it for much just want to be able to show it off to potential employers

1 Like

Sylenth uses juce too. it’s more for the online shop and have a way people can manage there licenses