Status bar behaviour on Android

Hi, with the Juce Demo app, the status bar is visible. With the Demo Plugin, the bar appears briefly but then disappears off the top of the screen. However, if the app loses the focus and regains it, it appears with the status bar.

Is this behaviour intentional and is it controllable via Juce - basically I want the bar to appear at all times and not auto-hide

thx

bump

@fabian, @lukasz.k - any thoughts on this?

I will have to check this. Currently I am in the middle of a different task I need to finish first.

1 Like

no probs, thx

Hi, have you had a chance to look at this yet?

I’ve tried removing the call to setKioskModeComponent() and also calling it with the allowMenusAndBars=true to see if that had any effect and neither of those changes appear to.

Edit: looks like the allowMenusAndBars is not used:

void Desktop::setKioskComponent (Component* kioskModeComp, bool enableOrDisable, bool /allowMenusAndBars/)

Hey. Sorry, not yet! I have it on my radar and I will have a look. Thanks for the update.

Hi, sorry to keep on about this, but it’s stopping me from doing a release as the GUI behaviour is somewhat random and inconsistent. Any idea when someone can take a look? thx

Sorry, for the delay leehu, I will have a look today.

thanks - I know you’re busy on lots of other stuff, so appreciate it.

Thanks leehu for your feature request and sorry again for taking so long to respond. I have pushed the fix to develop in commit 181f4ab. You can now customise if kiosk mode should be used for your standalone plugin build or not. Just use the new JUCE_STANDALONE_FILTER_WINDOW_USE_KIOSK_MODE preprocessor def in Projucer to set the value you need. By default the kiosk mode is enabled on iOS and Android.

With the Demo Plugin, the bar appears briefly but then disappears off the top of the screen. However, if the app loses the focus and regains it, it appears with the status bar.

I have also fixed that in a separate commit, so that the visibility of navigation and status bars remains the same if the app is suspended and later resumed.

Hi, tried this this morning, thanks. Done some testing on the audio plugin app. If I turn off kiosk mode, the Android menu bar remains (as desired). However, the app menu bar is also visible (not really desirable) - the minimise button has no effect, but the ‘x’ button will suspend the app but then resuming it causes a consistent crash.

Ah, I missed that, thanks! I fixed it in commit a2bbd99 by hiding the title bar on iOS and Android disregarding kiosk mode.

This all looks good now, thanks!

Hi @lukasz.k, I’ve just pulled the latest from develop and the status bar has gone, and some of the sizing oddities have come back. I notice there is a Status Bar Hidden option for iOS but not for Android (not sure if this option is what I think it is).

Edit: Maybe this is related to enabling OpenGL - will check tomorrow.

Hi @leehu. I’ve just got the latest develop and all is working fine here. Can you try getting the latest develop and re-saving your project in Projucer?

Can you reproduce it in Plugin Demo? Have you got JUCE_STANDALONE_FILTER_WINDOW_USE_KIOSK_MODE set to Disabled?

sorry, ignore last 2 replies - I thought I was replying to ed - will try this later. thx

Hi @lukasz.k - pulled latest everything and rebuilt from scratch and status bar looks good again. thx

1 Like

@leehu @lukasz.k
Do you guys know how to hide the status bar for an app on Android?