TableListBoxModel: selecting rows and custom components

I have a table that uses custom components (refreshComponentForCell), much like the Juce TableDemo. What bothers me though is that I can’t figure out how to select a row when the custom ComboBox is clicked on. I first tried adding a mouse listener with wantsEventsForAllNestedChildComponents=true that would select the row when a child component was clicked, but that caused quirky behavior in the ComboBox. I then tried writing a ComboBox class that had a pointer to the ListBox, and selected the row before carrying out the default ComboBox behavior, but that was crashing since selecting a row leaves the ComboBox with a dangling pointer to its parent component.

Is there any way to update the TableDemo code so that when a ComboBox is clicked on it behaves normally, and the row containing it becomes selected?

Has there been any change on this in the last 6 years that I’ve missed in the doc?

I notice in the Demo -> Tabs & Widgets -> Tables that selecting a combobox does not select the row that its on.