The latest tip is...?

Using the Introjucer, the latest tip is apparently called 1.54.27 and was released July 11th.
As lots of commits where done since, I’d assume the tip is no more than a few days, and certainly not “1.54”.
Jules, could you shed some insight on this? I’m quite willing to use to use the very newest code.

Regards, Michael

Should all be explained here:

http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7660

Thank you.
So to clarify, the huge changes to the Juce structure is mainly to serve the Introjucer?

Well, not really. The changes are to improve the library’s structure and make it less monolithic.

Quite frankly, I like that. It feels like there are less things to worry about, and the amalgamated version has always worked very well for me.

The library’s just too big to manage as a single entity now, it can’t carry on that way.

Having been using the module system myself for the last few weeks, it’s just as easy to use as the old system, but faster to compile, easier to debug, and easier to use with version-control. It also meant that some of my executables have shrunk to 20% of their previous size because I could leave out a bunch of unused classes.

I am using the IntroJucer to get the latest tip, will that work with the post quake version later on? Or being re-installed? It was very easy to get the latest tip that way…

Harrie

[quote=“Harrie Munnik”]I am using the IntroJucer to get the latest tip, will that work with the post quake version later on? Or being re-installed? It was very easy to get the latest tip that way…

Harrie[/quote]

Yes, it’ll be even easier to use the introjucer for getting the latest version and finding what modules are available, as well as there being command-line tools to do that too. That’s what I’m working on right now. It’ll also eventually be able to find and install 3rd-party modules if people want to publish their own.

My first reaction to the Juce Quake was: “Oh please leave it as it is, I’m getting along quite well with the monolithic thing and it’s always best to never change a winning team.” After all, software developers apperently are the most conservative and defensive species.

After weeks of struggle with the huge amalgamated sources (debugging, fixing issues, recompiling, noting down changes, etc.), my view is entirely different. I much anticipate the modules branch finally becoming official. Working with individual source includes is so much more flexibel and easy to handle!

And regardless of the large number of files, it will compile 8-16 times faster on a multi-core machine, because all the files can be compiled in parallel! I LOVE seeing all CPU cores at 100% :smiley:

Thanks! Glad you’re having the same experience as me!

I think I should move it to the mainline as a new major release as soon as possible. I just have a few changes to make to the way the introjucer works first.

+1. Jules, I think you made a wonderful move with all this modularised stuff. I’m now able to include 3rd party libraries very easily and, as ans already said, everything compiles faster. Keep up the excellent work 8)