Unknown type name 'Point'

I just updated to the latest tip and can no longer compile. I also checked with an empty Audio Plugin template:

I get compiler errors "Unknown type name 'Point'" in Finder.h, Quickdraw.h, Processess.h and Fonts.h. This makes no sense to me, as it seems to be defined in MacTypes.h, which is included right before the failing header in question.

As I said, it also happens in an empty new Audio Plugin. I rebuilt the Introjucer after the "git pull origin", reopened the jucer file, and hit "Save and open in IDE" and did a rebuild, which fails.

Was there a change which can explain this? Can I resolve it or should I start to roll back the Juce commits, to see, when it worked last time?

I run Mac OS-X 10.10 and XCode 7, compiling for VST, VST 3, AU and AAX

Ah, that'll be due to some changes I made in the last couple of days.. Thought I had tested all the project configurations, but will have another look and sort this out. Thanks!

Ok, meanwhile I rolled back for about a week to continue working (Dec. 23 works). Let me know when I can return to the tip.

Thanks for checking/fixing.

Should be OK now, thanks!

Unfortunately not, though the error message has slightly changed:

"Unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?"

And it's only complaining in Finder.h. The others seem ok, or the compiler capitulated earlier now.

I can't reproduce that one here.. Can you paste the full message (i.e. including all the header paths)?

argh, since the update to xcode 7 I can't find the raw compiler output any more. I attach the screenshot as png meanwhile...

Always a second after posting I find the solution, here is the log:

CompileC /Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/juce_VST3_Wrapper.o /Volumes/data/Developer/JUCE-OSX/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/VST3/juce_VST3_Wrapper.cpp normal x86_64 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
    cd /Volumes/data/Developer/test/updateTestFixed/Builds/MacOSX
    export LANG=en_US.US-ASCII
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang -x c++ -arch x86_64 -fmessage-length=0 -fdiagnostics-show-note-include-stack -fmacro-backtrace-limit=0 -std=c++11 -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -O0 -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-missing-prototypes -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-overloaded-virtual -Wno-exit-time-destructors -Wno-missing-braces -Wparentheses -Wswitch -Wno-unused-function -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unused-parameter -Wunused-variable -Wunused-value -Wno-empty-body -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-shadow -Wno-four-char-constants -Wno-conversion -Wno-constant-conversion -Wno-int-conversion -Wno-bool-conversion -Wno-enum-conversion -Wno-shorten-64-to-32 -Wno-newline-eof -Wno-c++11-extensions -D_DEBUG=1 -DDEBUG=1 -DJUCER_XCODE_MAC_F6D2F4CF=1 -DJUCE_APP_VERSION=1.0.0 -DJUCE_APP_VERSION_HEX=0x10000 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk -fasm-blocks -fstrict-aliasing -Wdeprecated-declarations -Winvalid-offsetof -mmacosx-version-min=10.8 -g -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wno-sign-conversion -iquote /Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/updateTestFixed-generated-files.hmap -I/Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/updateTestFixed-own-target-headers.hmap -I/Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/updateTestFixed-all-target-headers.hmap -iquote /Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/updateTestFixed-project-headers.hmap -I/Volumes/data/Developer/test/updateTestFixed/Builds/MacOSX/build/Debug/include -I/Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/VST3\ SDK -I../../JuceLibraryCode -I../../../../JUCE-OSX/modules -I/Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/AAX_SDK -I/Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/AAX_SDK/Interfaces -I/Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/AAX_SDK/Interfaces/ACF -I/Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/DerivedSources/x86_64 -I/Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/DerivedSources -Wreorder -F/Volumes/data/Developer/test/updateTestFixed/Builds/MacOSX/build/Debug -MMD -MT dependencies -MF /Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/juce_VST3_Wrapper.d --serialize-diagnostics /Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/juce_VST3_Wrapper.dia -c /Volumes/data/Developer/JUCE-OSX/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/VST3/juce_VST3_Wrapper.cpp -o /Users/daniel/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/updateTestFixed-ghgealnfohudqkclsokvklyvlcaj/Build/Intermediates/updateTestFixed.build/Debug/updateTestFixed.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/juce_VST3_Wrapper.o

In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/JUCE-OSX/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/VST3/juce_VST3_Wrapper.cpp:30:
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/JUCE-OSX/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/VST3/../../juce_audio_processors/format_types/juce_VST3Headers.h:93:
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/VST3 SDK/base/source/fthread.cpp:81:
In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Headers/CoreServices.h:23:
In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/AE.framework/Headers/AE.h:20:
In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/CarbonCore.h:31:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:240:3: error: unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?
  Point               location;               /* File's location in the folder */
  ^
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/JUCE-OSX/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/VST3/juce_VST3_Wrapper.cpp:30:
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/JUCE-OSX/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/VST3/../../juce_audio_processors/format_types/juce_VST3Headers.h:90:
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/VST3 SDK/base/source/frect.cpp:35:
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/VST3 SDK/base/source/frect.h:43:
/Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/VST3 SDK/base/source/fpoint.h:56:7: note: 'Steinberg::Point' declared here
class Point
      ^
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/JUCE-OSX/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/VST3/../../juce_audio_processors/format_types/juce_VST3Headers.h:93:
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/VST3 SDK/base/source/fthread.cpp:81:
In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Headers/CoreServices.h:23:
In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/AE.framework/Headers/AE.h:20:
In file included from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/CarbonCore.h:31:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:248:3: error: unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?
  Point               location;               /* Folder's location in the parent folder */
  ^
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/JUCE-OSX/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/VST3/../../juce_audio_processors/format_types/juce_VST3Headers.h:90:
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/VST3 SDK/base/source/frect.cpp:35:
In file included from /Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/VST3 SDK/base/source/frect.h:43:
/Volumes/data/Developer/SDK/VST3 SDK/base/source/fpoint.h:56:7: note: 'Steinberg::Point' declared here
class Point
      ^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:261:3: error: unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?
  Point               scrollPosition;         /* Scroll position (for icon views) */
  ^
class Point
      ^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:284:3: error: unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?
  Point               fdLocation;             /* File's location in folder. */
  ^
class Point
      ^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:314:3: error: unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?
  Point               frLocation;             /* Folder's location in parent folder */
  ^
class Point
      ^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:327:3: error: unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?
  Point               frScroll;               /* Scroll position */
  ^
class Point
      ^
6 errors generated.

...the problem is only in the VST3 wrapper, if I disable VST3 in the introjucer, the rest builds fine.

And adding the #include "../utility/juce_IncludeSystemHeaders.h" right before the "juce_IncludeModuleHeaders.h" as you did for AAX does not help.

Sorry, but nothing I do can reproduce this!

I would have suggested adding exactly the include that you said, which also compiles fine for me, but if that doesn't help, I have no idea.

You must have some kind of strange configuration - perhaps email me a project that goes wrong?

That's strange, I did a completely empty Audio Plugin from Introjucer, the only thing I set was:

• deployment target 10.8 (even though I use 10.10)
  • Adding VST, VST3, AU and AAX
  • Setting SDK paths
  • Setting C++ language to C++11

Then "Save and open in IDE" and build...

Oh wait, I didn't install the latest Steinberg update -the unfortunate with the identical build number-, as so many reported having trouble after updating... I will check that

edit: I installed VST SDK 3.6.5 build 67 from dec. 11th 2015, tried make clean and build, no change...

If you PM me your email adress I can send you the project as tgz.

Thanks for your time...

Thanks. Could be maybe because you're building with 10.10 and I'm on 10.11. Have you got the latest Xcode?

(My email address isn't hard to guess: jules@juce.com)

The XCode is the latest for 10.10 XCode 7.2 7C68 and the AppStore shows no newer version. Do you use the C++11 setting?

For the project file: you have mail...

Downloaded current tip from Github, tried to compile a new plugin project (created via Introjucer and changed nothing), and received similar errors (related to Finder.h).  I am not doing anything unusual -   latest xcode,  JUCE, etc.

EDIT: Should have mentioned in-case it makes a difference; host demo and demo apps compile with no problems.  DemoPlugin compiles except for VST3.

With VST3 included in the compile, error messages are:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:240:3: Unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:248:3: Unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:261:3: Unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:284:3: Unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:314:3: Unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/Finder.h:327:3: Unknown type name 'Point'; did you mean 'Steinberg::Point'?

The first message is referring to this ->

​
struct FileInfo {
  OSType              fileType;               /* The type of the file */
  OSType              fileCreator;            /* The file's creator */
  UInt16              finderFlags;            /* ex: kHasBundle, kIsInvisible... */
  Point               location;               /* File's location in the folder */
                                              /* If set to {0, 0}, the Finder will place the item automatically */
  UInt16              reservedField;          /* (set to 0) */
};

The rest are related to other structs, but same idea.

Thanks guys - this turned out to be because I didn't have the latest version of the VST SDK, and they changed a few things in the new one.

I've pushed a fix now, so let us know if there's still a problem.

That appears to have done the trick.  Thank you Jules.

Yes, works for me too.

Thanks for fixing :-)

Hi,

I am not able to fix this error,  no matter what. 

I have done the upgrade to OSX 10.11from 10.8.5 in January and when I tried to compile, I had an issue with Finder.h and Component.h (Carbon Core) (Reference to 'Point' is ambigous). I got the last updated version of JUCE from that time and use it but with no luck. 

A quick fix I did to continue working on my project was to import the older OSX 10.8.5 SDK to the XCode I had installed on OSX10.11 . That was a quick fix and it worked (basicaly, I used the 10.8 OSX in OSX Base SDK version). 

But yesterday, after updating XCode to v7.3, I couldn't use no more the old 10.8 OSX SDK. 

I have downloaded again the last update from JUCE and tried to compile with OSX 10.11 as Base SDK version and it doesn't work.

Neither with the last update from Steinberg VST SDK.

Am don't have that much experience with all this, as I started to use JUCE from just an year ago and before that I knew just a few things to do from faculty.

Please let me know if I miss something or how to fix this issue, as the errors suggested are related to the OSX frameworks.

Thank you!

I’m having the same error, using the JUCE release 4.3.1. Do you know if your fix is included in this release, @jules?

Absolutely no idea, this is from long ago. We can only really help with problems in the latest version!