URL::readEntireTextStream();

is

URL::readEntireTextStream();

working on Android ?

Cant make it work, works in ios simulator but not on android device.

Is it just me?

That method is platform-independent, so will work the same anywhere. The underlying URL functionality should work on Android (I think it just uses the same http classes as for linux) - if you're having trouble, we'd need to know more about exactly where it's failing, as the process of reading a URL is pretty complex.

Hi

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

Yes I see that readEntireTextStream is just a toplevel function calling readEntireTextStream::readEntireTextStream()

To test, I have now created a new fresh project with the latest Introjucer, from the git-tip.

It is the basic setup with “Create a basic window”

Then I have added a TextEditor in the constructor and attempt to set it’s text from the url result.

Here is the MainComponent.h

/*
  ==============================================================================
    This file was auto-generated!
*/
#ifndef MAINCOMPONENT_H_INCLUDED
#define MAINCOMPONENT_H_INCLUDED
#include "../JuceLibraryCode/JuceHeader.h"

//==============================================================================
/*
    This component lives inside our window, and this is where you should put all
    your controls and content.
*/
class MainContentComponent   : public Component
{
public:
    //==============================================================================
    MainContentComponent();
    ~MainContentComponent();
    void paint (Graphics&);
    void resized();
private:
    ScopedPointer<TextEditor> textEditor;
    JUCE_DECLARE_NON_COPYABLE_WITH_LEAK_DETECTOR (MainContentComponent)
};

#endif  // MAINCOMPONENT_H_INCLUDED

And here is the MainComponent.cpp

/*

This file was auto-generated!

*/

#include “MainComponent.h”

MainContentComponent::MainContentComponent()
{
//Create TextEditor
addAndMakeVisible(textEditor = new TextEditor(“test”));

//Set Size
juce::Rectangle&lt;int&gt; screenArea = Desktop::getInstance().getDisplays().getMainDisplay().userArea;
setSize(screenArea.getWidth(), screenArea.getHeight());

//Get text from the web
URL theUrl("http://audiostrom.com/hello.txt");
String fromWeb = theUrl.readEntireTextStream();
textEditor-&gt;setText(fromWeb,dontSendNotification);

}

MainContentComponent::~MainContentComponent()
{
}

void MainContentComponent::paint (Graphics& g)
{
g.fillAll (Colour (0xff001F36));

g.setFont (Font (16.0f));
g.setColour (Colours::white);
g.drawText ("Hello World!", getLocalBounds(), Justification::centred, true);

}

void MainContentComponent::resized()
{
// This is called when the MainContentComponent is resized.
// If you add any child components, this is where you should
// update their positions.
textEditor->setBounds(0, 0, getWidth(), 25);
}

When running in the iOS simulator the TextBox gets the text from the url, but when I compile using terminal, ant release, upload to my android device. The textbox does not get any text.

How do you debug under android, do I need to use the android emulators and eclipse or Android Studio in some way? Until now I have just written the code in xCode and compiled with ant.

I can confirm it has worked in the past (see my unit tests at http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/suggested-code-handling-url-redirects).

It's been months since I last played with android and I can't remember much, but I did use ant debug and didn't get along with Eclipse.

One thought: did you make sure that your app has permission for network access?

Andrew, Thanks for comfirming that this should work, but I can't see that I'm doing anything special in the code abbove.

The Introjucer sets the Internet Access flag by default, and in the AndroidManifest for the app I can see 
android.permission.INTERNET

There should no be much more to it?

FYI, I confirm this code works on an iPad Mini and not on a Nexus 10 (Android 4.4.4).

Maybe it should be on a separate thread ? I think that Android is not very keen on allowing synchronous calls in the main thread.

Just looking at your code snippet, you really should do this on a background thread. By putting the code in the constructor it's probably getting called before the app has even finished launching.

Yeah.. that was to keep the example super simple.. ofcourse my real app is not like this.

But let's say i move the code to a button click callback, same result.

Or are you really saying that this woun't work in the message thread? 

I will try it on a background thread an see if that works. If it does then we know that the url class cant be used on the main thread on Android 

(But in a real world app, you would probably want it on a sepperate thread like Jules says)

I'll try it on a thread

Ah. Yes, that's it - I just remembered that on Android the message thread is not allowed to do any network access.

But the code contains an assertion to detect this and warn you - maybe you were running a release build..

Aha!

Thats probably it then. Lets put this in the docs and call it case closed ?

I thought it would be in the docs, but apparently not - I'll add a note about it!