Using AudioCDBurner and AudioCDReader together...?

Hello!

As usual, I did a search and read the code before asking this question.

Now that I can get a CDDB id from a CD, I’m wanting to be able to recognize when a CD is inserted into the drive and then react accordingly.

However, there are two different classes here. AudioCDBurner seems to be the class that I use to get notifications on things entering or leaving the CD drive; to get CDDB id and other information, I need an AudioCDReader and it’s not entirely clear how I get this.

There are two lists of names… AudioCDBurner::findAvailableDevices() and AudioCDReader::getAvailableCDNames(). Are there any guarantees that these would be the same, or that one is a subset of the other?

Those two lists are certainly different - e.g. if you had a read-only device and also a cd burner, they’d definitely not be the same. I guess that checking for an audio cd involves checking for a volume insertion (http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5695&hilit=volume), but that probably won’t work for a writable disc, because a blank disc is unlikely to show up as a mountable volume, so for that you’d need to use the burner class to monitor the status.

Well, I’m sort of willing to ignore that case since very few people these days have read-only devices.

I don’t (right now) actually care about writeable disks either - I just want to recognize pre-recorded CDs when they’re put into the drive! I’m not willing to go so far as to write this volume notification.

But the lists might not be the same - will the name of a device appear as the same in the two lists?

I don’t think that’d be something you could rely on - the APIs used are completely different.

Urg, I feared as much.

[edit: Whine whine whine…]

How do I successfully perform this operation of simply being notified when a CD enters a drive - without writing platform-specific code to put into JUCE?

As you’ve probably noticed, I’m not totally against that, but I’m spending quite a lot of time writing JUCEy things already… but more important, I know nothing at all about Windows programming (I have another programmer part-time porting, testing and building on Windows but I don’t have so much time out of him that I can get him to do this…).

And I’m almost there right now. As I said, I really don’t care much about read-only devices, and I am already getting a notification from CD burners when a disk is inserted - all I need to do is to be able to open that CD burner as a CD reader.

[edit: this is probably a perfectly good solution anyway]

It’s likely that I’m going to put in a “quick hack” for the moment. My assumption is that 90%+ of the world has exactly one optical drive in their system, which is also a CD burner. In this most common case, I do know that the single CD burner and the single CDReader must be one and the same.

Otherwise, when I get a notification on any burner, I can simply try to open ALL the CDReaders until I get something. Not so unreasonable, really.