Using file as synth sound sample

Hello again

Sorry to (probably) ask a stupid question, but I was trying to use a file as a sample to replace the binary stream stored (by what software btw ?)  in BinaryData.cpp as a copy of a cello.wav file in the JuceDemo project.

I thus replaced the original:

ScopedPointer<AudioFormatReader> audioReader (wavFormat.createReaderFor (new MemoryInputStream (BinaryData::cello_wav, BinaryData::cello_wavSize, false),true));

with something like (don't worry this is not a final code, just testing...):

FILE *wavsmpl1;
void *buffer;
size_t fileSize;

wavsmpl1 = fopen("cello.wav","r"); // cello.wav is in JuceDemo.app folder for testing purpose
fileSize = ftell(wavsmpl1);
buffer = malloc(fileSize);
fread(buffer,1,fileSize,wavsmpl1);
ScopedPointer<AudioFormatReader> audioReader (wavFormat.createReaderFor (new MemoryInputStream (buffer,fileSize,true),true));

but I get 0 in audioReader.

Any hint ? This is done on a Mac for the MacOS platform but I am assuming that does not make a difference.

Thanks !

Call me stupid indeed... Forgot to move pointer to end of file before calling ftell. I was too much focusing on the JUCE API as I thought I just misunderstood something there.

So the working code (can't say it's "correct" as it is just for testing purpose) is:

FILE *wavsmpl1; void *buffer;
size_t fileSize;
wavsmpl1 = fopen("cello.wav","r"); // cello.wav is in JuceDemo.app folder for testing purpose 
fseek(wavsmpl1, 0, SEEK_END);
fileSize = ftell(wavsmpl1);
buffer = malloc(fileSize);
rewind(wavsmpl1);
fread(buffer,1,fileSize,wavsmpl1);
ScopedPointer<AudioFormatReader> audioReader (wavFormat.createReaderFor (new MemoryInputStream (buffer,fileSize,true),true));

The correct way to do it probably is to use a structure with sample size info read and stored once for all. Or alternatively to set keepInternalCopyOfData to true (as I did in code above).

Or more simply:

ScopedPointer<AudioFormatReader> audioReader (wavFormat.createReaderFor (new FileInputStream (File ("yourfilename")),true));

ha ha ha thanx Jules, now I look even dumber....

I REALLY ought to read those class descriptions, don't I ?

//        ScopedPointer<AudioFormatReader> audioReader (wavFormat.createReaderFor(new MemoryInputStream (BinaryData::cello_wav,
//                                                      BinaryData::cello_wavSize,
//                                                      false),true));

FileInputStream* cello = new FileInputStream (File ("./cello.wav"));
    if (cello->openedOk()) {
        ScopedPointer<AudioFormatReader> audioReader (wavFormat.createReaderFor (cello,true));

BigInteger allNotes;
        allNotes.setRange (0, 128, true);

synth.clearSounds();
        synth.addSound (new SamplerSound ("demo sound",
                                          *audioReader,
                                          allNotes,
                                          74,   // root midi note
                                          0.1,  // attack time
                                          0.1,  // release time
                                          10.0  // maximum sample length
                                          ));
    }

Hi I’m trying to also use a file as a synth sound sample and I tried implementing what you talked about, but it doesn’t recognize the file.
I also referred to this link: File streaming FileInputStream/FileOutputStream

Please let me know if you can help!

File only works with absolute paths. In a GUI there are too many places, where the file could be relative to.
Best is to start with File::getSpecialLocation() and a sequence of File::getChildFile() to reach the file…

1 Like