VST, RTAS and Standalone plugin creation

Hi,

I 'm trying to create a vst plugin using the demo project found on the Juce website. It compiles and I get a JuceVST.vst file. But I want to know how it looks like without launching it in a sequencer. So I’m trying to build the standalone version of the plugin, but I can’t manage how to do it. the “readme.txt” file says you can make it “without changing any
of your code at all”! I sounds great, but anyone could explain me how to do it? Thanks a lot.

Leskimo

You’d need to write an app - the classes in the standalone folder are really just helper classes for hooking the effect object up to the audio device. I’ll do a demo project for it when I get chance…

ok, well I’ve finally decided to download a demo version of Live to test my plugin… I have two other question concerning the VST creation:

• is it possible to create a VSTI? So that I could make a plugin that would produce sounds. For example if I launch the record in Live, I could play some loop in my VSTI and it would be recorded by Live in the audio track where I put the VSTI?

• Is it possible to get the input stream in a VSTI? I mean, if I plug one device in an external soundcard, can I get this input stream directly in my plugin?

Sorry 'bout all these questions, but I must be sure I can do this with Juce before starting. Thank you for your answers

Leskimo

Of course you can create a VSTi, because that’s exactly the same thing as a VST. (I really don’t understand why so many people think it’s different?!)

Don’t exactly understand your other point - all plugins are given an input stream by the host app. They don’t have any control over what the host chooses to squirt into them. Obviously most hosts will let you monitor audio from an input device through plugins if that’s what you’re trying to do.

1. Look at Roid in my sig for an example of a JUCEy VSTi. Whether you can record the output “live” is up to the host. Most hosts expect you to create a midi track which you can then render to an audio file, but if your VSTi starts outputting stuff without midi input, like some drum sequencers do, you can render that directly too.
    I.E I think the answer is yes, but it rarely involves hitting the ‘record’ button.

2. Again, it’s up to the host. An instrument can take both audio and midi input, but many hosts are limited to one or the other.

I think, that what ever you can do with the VST SDK directly, you can also do with a JUCE Plugin.

Also, for testing, I suggest you get a hold of Toby Bears Minihost as well as EnergyXT demo. They both load up really fast which is nice, and energyXT allows you to test any kind of audio/midi routing.
Tobys Minihost lets you save settings and stuff, and is immediately playable.