Waves + Juce + OSX SDK 10.14 = White UI

Hi
Stil the same for me, I have not tested with the latest juce commit, but will do shortly.
Both v10 and 11 have this problem as far as I recall. Stuck with 10.13 for now

Hi
I’m still struggling with this
Am I the only one having this issue?
This picture is the Audio Plugin Host, compiled with 10.15 SDK.
If I compile with the 10.13 SDK editor works, but now many waves plugins have started crashing when compiling against 10.13.
Could someone please confirm the issue or not?

Please, could someone compile and run the Juce plugin host with the OSX 10.15 SDK and test Waves AU/VST3 plugins?

Ok, so no one seems to chime in here so I downloaded the develop branch on a clean install. Compiled the plugin host and got the same issue. It is regardless of VST3 / AU

The title of this thread should be “Waves hosting broken on OSX”

Isn’t this something Waves need to fix?
I seem to remember a thread on here listing other hosts and the SDKs they use and anything using newer SDKs also had this problem.

Have you reported it to Waves?
Does anyone know if there’s an Apple-only hosting example that could exhibit the problem so we know for sure it’s not something to do with JUCE?

This is the one:

Most hosts build against 10.13 or earlier.

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

Have you reported it to Waves?

Yes, but they pretty much ignore this type of feedback from indie-developers.
So I think the only options is for the a joint effort from Juce + Juce-users.

Most hosts build against 10.13 or earlier.

Yes, so did we, 10.13 has been good to us. But now we are getting new issues where plugins don’t work right unless compiled with 10.15.

Actually some waves plugins fail with a crash if you load them two times I a row. (add > remove > add) They work if you compile against 10.15, but then the UI is messed up.

Which Waves version are you running? I think only version 11 supports Catalina (10.15).
I believe that 10.13 should work better, as all other hosts use that too. Might be worth it to compare your crashes with 10.13 vs other hosts (Waveform would be a good candidate).

Will check for other hosts, I run v11 updated via Waves Central.

I just loaded a few Waves V11 plugins in Waveform 11 (10.13 SDK?), both instruments and effects and everything seems to work well.

Hi
Thanks, I could not download 503 error.
Could you please try to load “Reel ADT Live Stereo” , then remove it and add it again?

Waveform is built with 10.13 SDK precisely for this reason.

Loaded Reel ADT Live stereo into a track in Waveform 11, and then removed/added it a couple of times, worked just fine. Also tried “replacing” the plugin a few times. Both VST2 and VST3 versions worked with no problems.

Thanks I will try the same here once it is done scanning for plugins.
What about in the Juce Plugins Host ?
Edit:
In Waveform everything is fine on my system also, but when compiling the juce host I get crashes with 10.13 and Reel ADT

AudioPluginHost with SDK 10.13 does seem to have some issues, throwing all kinds of asserts on the Waves plugins, and has a weird issue when removing/reloading Reel ADT. Using 10.15 has the UI bug you mentioned, but that was a known issue.

Great. so it is not just me.
So the big question is what kind of magic is Waveform doing ?

In an release build you’re probably just not seeing the asserts (because they’re disabled) and it just seems “to work”.

@eyalamir what exactly are the asserts?

Waves say:

Hi
Thanks for bring this to our attention.
Please try adding this to your code.

openGLView.wantsBestResolutionOpenGLSurface = false

Sooooo. I 'll see if I can find a place to add that.

first you can simply try hack the JUCE editor wrapper code and see if it helps.

Still fighting this, no luck with the openGLView thing.
Is anyone else able to compile with 10.13 SDK on XCode 12?
Xcode does not seem to recognize the sdk when copied in, worked with Xcode 11.