WebBrowser problem

Hi Jules,

I’m trying to use the WebBrowser on Mac to show simple html help files, but I can’t get anything to show. The URL given (and I’ve checked that it is correct) is the full path to the html file prepended with “file://”. This is on Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Ideas ?

TIA,
/Rob

That’s kind of strange. Have you tried typing the URL into the web browser page in the demo app?

I only get “Enter a web address, e.g…”. The URL I use is:
file://

I can see the page in Firefox with the same URL.

This might have something to do with the WebView not showing the file URL:http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/WebKit/Classes/WebView_Class/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20001903-DontLinkElementID_1

Does the URL have special characters like space, & etc?

It does have spaces yes… like:
"/Applications/My App.app/Contents/Resources/html/my_html_page.html"

DOH! Thanks. Me and web stuff… URL escaping fixed it. Thanks mate!

Safari is more strict on url format compared to other browsers. It is a good practice to add escape characters to all the urls.

Yeah, does seem so. However now I’m riddled with another problem: When I run in Xcode, the WebBrowserComponent always brings up the bundled help files, but when I’ve deployed the application, sometimes it doesn’t. And sometime it does. Anyone seen anything like this ?

Edit: When it doesn’t work, I use Finder to “Show Package Contents”. Then I open the application again, and then it works! This is NUTS!

Wow. That’s a doozy of a problem!

Bear in mind that Apple do some dodgy stuff inside their modules. I once spent 2 days wondering why I couldn’t get Quicktime to work inside a browser plugin before I figured out that Apple had deliberately crippled it to prevent it working in Firefox…

Try logging the url given to the webbrowsercomponent. It could be the case that the path is going wrong.

Thanks guys, although what is looks like is that the WebView object simply doesn’t exist at the times when it doesn’t work. I.e. right-clicking in the component doesn’t yield the “Reload” popup menu. What could possibly make it not instigate the WebView ?

The only time I faced a similar issue with webbrowsercomponent was, when I added webbrowsercomponent to a view before that view was visible.

Thanks! Indeed. The url given to the component was within the initialization code, so sometimes it mustered it, sometimes not. Now I postpone that via a message, along with the instantiation of the webbrowsercomponent, and that seems to work! :slight_smile:

Perhaps if you ask it to go to a URL before it’s had time to get its internal threads ready, it just ignores the request.

Maybe, but it seems more than that. Subsequent url request fail too, and the WebView seems totally uninitialized.

It is an issue with initialization of the webbrowsercomponent. Similar behaviour is seen on windows too.

Strange. I have the same exact code for both platforms, but is is only Mac I’ve seen this on…

In that case it is very strange. I had seen this on Windows and Macintosh more than a year back. It looked like ActiveXComponent wasn’t getting initialized if the parent view was not visible and on Mac it looked like an issue with WebView failing to initialize.