Probably this one - it’s from 2013:

It was ok but rather basic.

I just downloaded “Getting Started with JUCE” and it covers JUCE 2.12, so I am not so sure how relevant it is.

The book is quite basic and it’s an advantage in this case. I’m looking right now into this book: there are some obsolete parts (installation, Introjucer, ScopedPointers, Component designer) but there are also parts still useful and generally still valid (files, xml, listeners). Of course there is nothing about new language features like unique pointers or lambdas but IMO the time spent on reading will not be wasted if you want to get a general view.

hi new noob here trying to crossover to c++ and juice from xojo basic and unity

im getting really frustrated when looking for examples of the simple stuff in life

Like File I/O … and How to call a function … oh yes there demo runner in its full glory of very tidy highly under documented code and the demo of course it won’t show me how to read and write and test if a file exists to my god dam drive … and when I look up C++ examples they look Nothing like what I see in the examples on the forum so im getting really confused as F…

so why are there no bloody examples of Juices Syntax …

yes I can look them up in the documentation but there’s nothing I can relate to

so where the hell are the IM JUST A BEGINNER PAGES ALL HIDING so I can get my shit together a bit faster …

thanks …

Have you looked at the JUCE tutorials? You can find them by clicking on the “Learn” button at the top of the page. There’s one on file reading here:

https://docs.juce.com/master/tutorial_file_reading.html

You can use the autocompletion in your IDE to look up information in real time, as well as browse the online documentation. For example, if you wanted to see if a file exists you can type

yourFileobject.exists

and your IDE will suggest both

// Checks whether the file actually exists.
// true if the file exists, either as a file or a directory.
bool yourFileobject.exists() const

and

// Checks whether the file exists and is a file rather than a directory.
// Returns true only if this is a real file, false if it's a directory or doesn't exist
bool File::existsAsFile() const

complete with the documentation strings.

3 Likes

Look at any of the projects in /juce/Extras/ or juce/Examples

I would recommend you focus on learning to read C++ before you learn to read frameworks written in C++. You’re begging to be frustrated if you don’t already know C++ first.

this may be helpful as well:

1 Like

https://www.programmingformusicians.com since we’re plugging courses

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Lol, I was gonna say hang in there and it will all be okay and we’ve all been in the same boat as you, but thought it could be helpful!

I’ve actually been planning to take your course as well! seems like some awesome stuff in there.

Also just a note – The Kadenze course intro is free and I make no profit off the course or the advanced course. Just plugging as it might be useful!

thanks so much was really getting frustrated coming from a different language … to this

yes I am but I will prevail … as alien as it looks to the other languages I code in … I will get it eventually then look out …