Submit your tutorial requests

In a constant quest to improve the onboarding of new JUCE users, we invite you to submit requests for new JUCE and BLOCKS tutorials.

What are some of the topics you would like to see covered in future tutorials? What could be improved to help you learn JUCE and BLOCKS development?

5 Likes

Hi Noah,
a plugin running an AudioProcessorGraph with custom nodes handling (e.g. a simple gain processor besides the standard audio + MIDI in/out nodes) would be great.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, Iā€™ll look into this!

An OnlineUnlockStatus tutorial would be great - not only how to implement it in my app/plugin but also a little about how I need my website/marketplace to respond.
Thereā€™s a lot of great ā€˜getting startedā€™ tutorials but not any ā€˜finishing upā€™ stuff.

4 Likes

Like @Im_Jimmi said, JUCE-specific ā€œfinishing upā€ stuff would be really helpful.

Something I struggled with was getting a JUCE app ready for iOS App Store distribution - I ran into lots of problems with Projucerā€™s configurations and ended up having to do some workarounds in Xcode to get archiving and uploading to work/be accepted.

I realize that sounds more like a bug complaint than a tutorial request, but the overall process of submitting to the App Store can be complex and intimidating, especially when JUCE apps are not using native iOS UI controls. Sharing design/submitting guidelines ROLI has picked up for submitting JUCE apps would be really nice, especially because Appleā€™s are basically ā€œdonā€™t be uglyā€ and ā€œuse native UI controlsā€.

4 Likes

A tutorial is needed to show AudioProcessorGraph usage in simple and concise application.

As nice as the Audio Plugin Host demo application is (I use it every day for quick testing), it is not a particularly good example of AudioProcessorGraph usage because the relevant code is scattered all through multiple source files. Plus, the graphics UI is not needed for many applications, and so it ends up obfuscating the areas of interest.

So, a nice simple audio app, showing how to connect the audio hardware, add a plugin (from a list), and play something, would be very helpful to those new to JUCE.

Iā€™m past most of those struggles myself, but the knowledge was hard won by reading many, many posts in this forum, and anywhere else I could find discussions or mention of AudioProcessorGraph.

A new tutorial would save others from the pain.

4 Likes

I think if you guys decide to make more/different plugin tutorials it would be useful for the results to be plugins that people can use for testing their own plugins later. Something like a signal generator/sample playback plugin and an oscilloscope/fft analyzer as your tutorial projects would be cool, and show off a lot of the features of JUCE.

6 Likes

I would like to see an analyzer/Scope using OpenGL

Rail

11 Likes

emoji tutorial plz

6 Likes

I must totally agree bwall. Iā€™m new to JUCE and, even i worked with a few other Audio-Frameworks before, i am struggling with exactly these basic issues.

Thank you all for the suggestions, Iā€™ll start with an AudioProcessorGraph tutorial and try to come up with more ā€œfinishing upā€ ones as well.

7 Likes

Just added some new tutorials as per your suggestions:

AudioProcessorGraph
OnlineUnlockStatus
Installers and Distribution

Working on an Analyser/Scope as requested by some.

18 Likes

What about some basic DSP math tutorials and maybe an introduction to Matlab (or the free gnu octave clone) as questions regarding those topics regularly arise here too.

Something like generating and plotting signals in Matlab, understanding the Fourier Transform and things like that?

I know there are alternative tools beneath Matlab, this would just be my approach. Any thoughts on that?

Very nice a couple of thoughts though.

Itā€™s worth in the package installers example considering what happens when installing a signed AAX plugin. The problem being that if the plugin already exists and there is some file in the bundle for example that is no longer in the version being installed then once installed the AAX bundle will be a hybrid of the old and new bundles, which subsequently will cause the PACE signature to fail. You need to add a script that deletes the old bundle before installing the new one.

On that note maybe if you speak with PACE there could be a tutorial for signing an AAX plugin? Thatā€™s a regular question that pops up on here.

@PluginPenguin I think that a tutorial on Matlab would be a little out of scope with what JUCE offers but will definitely try to add more DSP tutorials in the near future.

@anthony-nicholls Thanks for the feedback, however I believe I canā€™t really delve into details about AAX and PACE due to the signed NDA if Iā€™m not mistaken although I think it would be very interesting to talk about code-signing.

Youā€™re absolutely right thatā€™s why I say you would have to talk with them, theyā€™re a very helpful bunch. Maybe you could also send them the Installers tutorial to see if they have anything they would like to add for anyone who is creating an installer with a signed AAX plugin.

An OpenGL tutorial to create effects similar to that seen in the Noise app, would be great.

2 Likes

I canā€™t understate how awesome those three tutorials are - the OnlineUnlockStatus one is particularly impressive. For a forum full of low level programmers, having an example of setting up a server backend is extremely helpful.

+1 for a DSP tutorial, maybe with some light Matlab/Octave for initial filter design? Iā€™ve always blundered my way through DSP via C++ without being able to plot things like frequency responses and would love to see this. Maybe assume knowledge of Matlab usage (i.e. writing .m programs) and just showing some nice boilerplate for creating an analyzing a filter.

8 Likes

Hi! Please, add a tutorial, how to create ā€˜vectorizedā€™ ui elements, like a knobs. Yes i know, that good explanation about ā€˜skinningā€™ ui is in Tutorial: Customise the look and feel of your app. But, would be good, have some ā€˜in-depthā€™ explanation about creating ā€˜complexā€™ ui controls (including svg-parsing, work with gradients etc.)
Thanks!

2 Likes

I totally agree - I havenā€™t had a chance to look at them in depth but I had a quick look at the onlineUnlock and Distribution tutorials yesterday and they were exactly what I was hoping for!

Thanks @noahdayan! :slight_smile:

1 Like