What's the plan with juce_freetype?

What’s juce_freetype going to be? Will JUCE include FreeType sources? What about my FreeType amalgamation:

Well the awesome thing about your FreeTypeAmalgam was how easy it was to get freetype working with Juce on all platforms.
If Jules creates a juce_freetype in the same vein as juce_box2d where all the include stuff is taken care of on all platforms via introjucer, is there any need for FreeTypeAmalgam?

[quote=“sonic59”]Well the awesome thing about your FreeTypeAmalgam was how easy it was to get freetype working with Juce on all platforms.
If Jules creates a juce_freetype in the same vein as juce_box2d where all the include stuff is taken care of on all platforms via introjucer, is there any need for FreeTypeAmalgam?[/quote]

If Jules includes the full source tree for FreeType within the Juce repository then you won’t need FreeTypeAmalgam.

Yo Jules please shed some light on this so I don’t do wasted work…

Haven’t got any concrete plans, but probably will include the freetype code to it at some point.

When you do that, I would recommend including harfbuzz-ng in the mix http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/HarfBuzz Not only does this give you lots of localization features (shaping of Indic and Arabic text for instance, though you still need to implement the Unicode Standard Annex #9 for bidirectional text layout) - but I believe it will be useful for purely English text also, since it calculates glyph advances based on the kerning tables, which improves text rendering.

Adding FreeType (which is a glyph rendering engine) is one thing. But harfbuzz is an entire layout engine, that’s a horse of an entirely different color! It is certainly non as easy as dumping a bunch of sources into JUCE and flipping a switch.

Hi Vinn,

Have you checked your FreeType amalgam in the latest version of Xcode?

I’m getting a lot of these errors:

duplicate symbol _tt_cmap14_class_rec in:
    /Users/railjonrogut/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/AppName-baobzjmsqtcufdedgxfdugvbhdea/Build/Intermediates/AppName.build/Debug/AppName.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/FreeTypeAmalgam.o
    /Users/railjonrogut/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/AppName-baobzjmsqtcufdedgxfdugvbhdea/Build/Intermediates/AppName.build/Debug/AppName.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/vf_freetype.o
ld: 635 duplicate symbols for architecture x86_64

This is in XCode 4.6.2

Thanks,

Rail

You dont need to compile FreeTypeAmalgam.c into your project, it’s already included in vf_freetype.c

Thanks

Excellent… Not sure if I’ll use it yet… but was just about to try your SQLite classes and thought I’d add FreeType in at the same time.

Thanks,

Rail

As with FreeType, to use sqlite you just need to add vf_sqlite.c. You do not need to add the sqlite3.c source.

Cool.

I did update the FreeType source from https://github.com/vinniefalco/FreeTypeAmalgam in the vf_freetype/FreeTypeAmalgam folder… is that okay or should I keep them as they were in the git?

Checking the latest SQLite downloads (3.7.16.2) the source names differ to the source names in the VFLib-Master download… should I keep them as in your git or update them to 3.7.16.2 ?

Thanks,

Rail

You shouldn’t have to do this…if you’re using the ‘develop’ branch then I believe I already merged the FreeTypeAmalgam 2.4.12 subtree into it.

Unless there is a particular need to update, the version in VFLib should be fine. I’ll be updating it to the latest SQLite soon though, if I haven’t already done it.