Why won't VC++express compile the JUCE VST thing

I keep getting this error…

e:\juce\projects\cc_rider\VST\JuceVstMain.cpp(455) : error C3874: return type of ‘main’ should be ‘int’ instead of ‘AEffect *’

I was getting that with Dev-C++, but I applied the fix and it worked. I’ve tried compiling as-is and it doesn’t work, I tried applying the dev-c++ fix and it doesn’t work. What is wrong with main() function in the JuceAudioPlugin? I don’t see it…

[HELP] :shock:

I’ve fixed it now…

change main to main_plugin in JuceVstMain.cpp… create a .def file which says: export main=main_plugin, then add /DEF:<nameofdeffile.def> to the linker options for the project… then it compiles fine without the error.

I still don’t know why it gives an error, while it obviously must work with visual studio… are there some compiler/linker options that we should be aware of?

A neater solution is to just change the return type to void* and it works…

I’m moving over to VCExpress for all my work now, so the next version I put up will certainly be VCExpress-friendly.

[quote=“jules”]A neater solution is to just change the return type to void* and it works…

I’m moving over to VCExpress for all my work now, so the next version I put up will certainly be VCExpress-friendly.[/quote]

Oh happy day! :slight_smile:

[quote=“jules”]A neater solution is to just change the return type to void* and it works…

I’m moving over to VCExpress for all my work now, so the next version I put up will certainly be VCExpress-friendly.[/quote]

eh? kinell!

does VCE not have stuff missing? or is that just shite i dont need?

So that means Jules is a hobbiest?

You cant release under VCE? So T2 gonna be free then? :lol:

Hey I’m a geek!

cool 8)

that cos i hit twenty?

[quote=“Karbon L. Forms”]So that means Jules is a hobbiest?

You cant release under VCE? So T2 gonna be free then? :lol:[/quote]

:shock:

Oh, didn’t realise you’re not supposed to release anything. Well sod them then, I’ll go back to VC6.

Might still get it when it’s released though, as it’s about time I moved on from my 4-year-old copy of VC6…

nah.

stick with express and open source T2!

Where’d you get that info karbon?

the microsoft VC++ Express website funnily enough

[quote]# Should I install the beta, or wait for the official release?

Microsoft is committed to giving customers early access of developer tools so that you can begin planning your development efforts as far in advance as possible. But as with any pre-release software, you need to be aware of a few things:

* Beta software is not supported. You should take necessary precautions, such as installing on a backup machine and reading all of the release notes, prior to installing any release.
* There is no “Go live license” for this release. That means you cannot publicly deploy any applications you create with the beta. This is for testing and evaluation purposes only.
* APIs and other functionality may change between now and the final release. Microsoft is constantly receiving great feedback from customers like you, and therefore we may make improvements right up until the final software release. Most of the applications you build today should work fine with subsequent releases, but there may be some changes.[/quote]

Maybe Julsey-woolsy could keep with the express switch then he can buy VC++2005 when its out next year to compile T2

:shock:

Hmm. It’s a bit like saying “here’s a word processor but you’re not allowed to publish anything you write with it”

Can MS legally tell you what you can or can’t do with a piece of information just because their software happened to be the thing that created it?

I don’t think I’d fancy arguing the point with their lawyers, though.

they MIGHT be able to analyse the executable? oh look this was made with express beta! get onto the law dept to get onto raw material!!

Jules, I’ve not switched myself (and I have NO consideration of the law except for the JUCE lisence cos I like you) from VS.NET2003 . What is it you like about the new IDE? Is it worth the switch?

The new IDE’s ok, not much better or worse, but the compiler’s much better than in VC6.

I would get VC7, but with that you’re paying for all the extra VB and database crap that I don’t want - so VCExpress seems like a good option for me.

Don’t they give the optimizing compiler away free anyway? Some toolkit or other? No thats shite cos the lisence issue would remain.

No, but the license is a contract, and they can take people to court for breaking contract.

That said, where MS is concerned it is a moot point, even if they eventually lost the case you’d still be bankrupt. :evil: