Windows VST...32 and/or 64 bit?

I’m a Mac guy and don’t know much about the state of Windows plugins. Mac’s have pretty much all gone 64 bit as of, I think, Lion, and I’m fine just releasing my plugin as 64 bit only for Macs.

What’s the state of Windows plugins? Are most of you releasing for 32 or 64 bit, or both?

I noticed that Projucer only has choices for 32 or 64 bit for Windows, but not both. So, if I wanted to release both, I’d have to build in 32 bit, resave the jucer file as 64 bit and rebuild?

What are most of you doing?

Thanks.

We’re releasing both 32-bit and 64-bit on both Mac and Windows.

If you choose the 64-bit option in ProJucer, you can then select in Visual Studio to build for either 64 or 32 bit.

2 Likes

Considering that we just had a discussion about 32-bit viability on OSX, I thought I’d ask again about what others are doing and your thoughts on still releasing 32-bit plugins for Windows.

It seems that the Mac community is pretty solid with going 64-bit only, but I have a feeling (I’m not a Windows user) that the Windows community is more legacy oriented and there’s probably still quite a bit of 32-bit users out there.

Anyone care to share your current thinking on this?

I still do 32 bits on Windows, but yes, it’s quite legacy with people still asking for XP support…
As for the projucer, I have a 32bits and a 64bits exporter, so I get two VS solutions that I build separately (to adapt the name) and then one installer to rule them all.