XCode 3 problems compiling demo AU

I just upgraded to Leopard and XCode 3 and I can’t build the demo AU. What am I doing wrong? I’m using the most current version from svn.

First, if I setup juce.xcconfig for 10.4 compatibility there is a compile error in AUBase:

/Developer/Examples/CoreAudio/AudioUnits/AUPublic/AUBase/AUBase.cpp:1306: error: ‘kAudioUnitRenderAction_PostRenderError’ was not declared in this scope

if I set up juce.xcconfig for 10.5 there is an error in the AU wrapper code, line 179 “ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type”:

Weirdness…

The error in the wrapper code had to do with the use of the uint8 type which is typedefed in juce_MathsFunctions.h. Something must be wrong here to make this happen. Please advise. Anyway, I changed uint8 to UInt8 and it builds fine using the 10.5 settings.

Now, of course I don’t want to target 10.5 only. As I said when I targeted 10.4 and use the 10.4 SDK (as laid out in juce.xcconfig) there was a build error in AUBase. The Core Audio SDK ReleaseNotes.rtf says this:

thus, the xcconfig file should read:

//  For 10.4 (and later) compatibility, use these instead:
 MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET = 10.4
// SDKROOT = $(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

//  For 10.5 (and later) compatibility, use these instead:
// MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET = 10.5
 SDKROOT = $(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.5.sdk

And there you have it.

Nice one, thanks for that. Very strange about the uint8 stuff, I’m surprised that the compiler would have any trouble with anything like that.

Well, uint8, uint32, uint64, it’s the lot. Just depends on what you use I suppose. It stops me dead (using the 10.5 deploy 10.4 combo).

So, in the 10.5 SDK, there are now defines for all of these in cssmconfig.h like this:

#ifndef _UINT64 typedef uint64_t uint64; #define _UINT64 #endif

I would have thought we’d get double define warnings rather than not defined (I have 1584 from that ; ) but there you go. Doing a conditional define didn’t seem to help though, so I’m not sure juce’s version is masking the other?

Could the two be close enough to disrupt? If I do juce::uint64 that works, but in which case shouldn’t it find the OS define?

Bruce

I guess you could try a hack like “#define uint8 juce::uint8”…?

I suppose. I made my own types for 3 or 4 things I was using, in the same vein - I’m working with times in nanoseconds a lot, or video frame times. So that was an enforced improvement anyway ; )

The rest, I mostly just added the juce namespace to. It’s OK. Just weird. How can a non-defined type mask a namespace type? Maybe a GCC change rather than OS X?

Bruce