10.5 oddities

Hello Jules !

I have a bug I didn’t had with Mac OS 10.4 on the 10.5, with the AudioDeviceSelectorComponent.

I don’t know if it’s an issue of my soundcard but, when I try to change the selected input with this window, my application crashes. I want to select only one input not less not more, the first one is selected, I choose the second… And I get a crash. With the last juce demo, I have the same issue. I try to chose another input, the juce demo exits.

I have tried with the default soundcard of my Mac Mini.

Some ideas ? Thanks a lot !

Where’s it crashing?

So, here is what happened with the Juce Demo

I go to the audio demo tab, I click on the “Show Audio Settings” button. Then I try to chose only the second input in the list. When I click on the second one, the first stay checked. An when I click again on the first or the second, the application exits.

Thanks !

Yeah, that’s not much use, as I can’t reproduce it here.

What I meant was: where is it in the code when it crashes? i.e. catch it in the debugger and see what it’s trying to do…

In the Xcode’s debugger, here is the list of calls :

#00 mach_msg_trap
#01 mach_msg
#02 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
#03 CFRunLoopRunInMode
#04 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode
#05 ReceiveNextEventCommon
#06 ReceiveNextEvent
#07 juce::juce_dispatchNextMessageOnSystem
#08 juce::MessageManager::dispatchNextMessage
#09 juce::Component::runModalLoop
#10 juce::DialogWindow::showModalDialog
#11 AudioDemo::buttonClicked

etc.

Before 10 everything is written in assembly code. Maybe there is a way with Xcode to see the code currently executed of the juce library…

Tell me if you need more information

Hmm, that’s just the normal message thread stack… Are you sure that’s the thread that actually crashed?

I don’t know… When I do the trick, the mouse cursor becomes a hourglass and the application crashes 3 seconds after…

I have to try with another soundcard

Another piece of information : when I initialize the window this way :

Then it is possible for me to select TWO inputs on the window. And I get a crash after that. I don’t have this problem with Windows XP. The same code is used with Windows and Mac OS X 10.5…

Am I the only one here who has a problem with the AudioDeviceSelector and Mac OS X ?

As far as I know, you are.

Usually this kind of thing is really easy to track down in the debugger, but it doesn’t sound like you’re too experienced with doing that… Unfortunately, as I can’t reproduce it myself, you’re the only person who has a chance of debugging it! Posting all these extra clues really isn’t much use to me - what I need to see is a call stack that shows where it’s all gone wrong…

Hi Jules,

I have a few users who have encountered the white window problem, but I cannot reproduce it so far…

Has the latest SVN JUCE already been fixed this matter? If not, I will tell a workaround(color profile change) to my users.

Thank you,

Best regards,
jazzunko

I’m also interested on this, as the Demonstrations don’t work on my MAC with Leopard. (latest version)

Never mind, after doing the color-profile-change-tweak the Demonstration runs perfectly now. 8)

Wk

Forgot to follow up on the white window issue… anyway, we finally got a reproducible case in house, and the code here fixed it. I’d suggest using that, and you shouldn’t have to worry about the color-profile-change hack. I doubt this change will go into the dist since it’s all going to Cocoa now…

Thanks. I’ve still never managed to reproduce it myself, so would be keen to hear whether you see it with the cocoa build. Hopefully not!

Hi Jules,

I had a customer report this problem a week or 2 back (they had a newish Mac Book), so it is probably still be in there, somewhere!

Pete

See also … http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juceforum/viewtopic.php?t=2644

How bizarre! This bug just appeared on the Tracktion forum.

Do we know which version of Juce that is built with…?

Pete

Tracktion’s still based on 1.46

I’m going to try re-creating my AU/VST project from scratch, following the advice in the 1.50 file…:
juce/extras/audio plugins/How to use this framework.txt.

… as I’m still based on the old approach where the AU and VST were built separately.

Maybe I’ll get lucky, and this will make my problem disappear. :slight_smile:

Pete