AAX plugin naming

One issue I’ve been having with AAX is the fact that the plugin names haven’t been displaying properly when I select one to load into ProTools. Often times I get the 4-character product code rather than the name. So I took a look into the AAX wrapper and found this:

descriptor.AddName (JucePlugin_Desc); descriptor.AddName (JucePlugin_Name); descriptor.AddName (FourCharConst (JucePlugin_PluginCode).asString);
There it is. The product code is added as a plugin name. Is there a reason for this? The code often bears little resemblance to the name, so I don’t know how it might be useful in this regard. Please educate me.

A second question regards the constitution of JucePlugin_Desc. For RTAS, this symbol can be defined as several names, delimited by linefeed, i.e.

and so on. Does that hold true for AAX?

TBH I don’t remember exactly why it also adds the four-char name… Most likely because something similar happens for RTAS.

But IIRC the rule about those identifiers is that it can’t just be a random integer, it’s supposed to be all valid letters, (and even have one upper-case letter, I think…?)

[quote=“jules”]TBH I don’t remember exactly why it also adds the four-char name… Most likely because something similar happens for RTAS.
But IIRC the rule about those identifiers is that it can’t just be a random integer, it’s supposed to be all valid letters, (and even have one upper-case letter, I think…?)[/quote]
You’re correct about the constitution of the 4-char. But it’s not necessarily an abbreviation of the plugin name. It may fall under some other internal naming scheme of the manufacturer that’s related to something else entirely–that’s the case for me.

I commented it out (it appears in two places in the wrapper) and everything seemed to be fine.

Jules, can I make the request for you to remove [color=#0040FF]JucePlugin_PluginCode[/color] as a name source in the AAX wrapper. I just double-checked the RTAS wrapper and it’s not in there (you must have remembered an earlier version). The 4-character [color=#0040FF]JucePlugin_PluginCode[/color] is not typically intended to convey the plugin name (it actually seems to be a throwback to some really ancient Mac stuff) and it’s really confusing when it pops up in the ProTools GUI.

Thanks.

Yes, good call - I’ll do that.

Thanks Jules. There may be other things lurking out there, but for my part the AAX stuff has been working nicely.

Oops. Looks like there’s still one in there. It’s in [color=#0040FF]AAX_Result JUCE_CDECL GetEffectDescriptions (AAX_ICollection* collection)[/color]. 12 lines down from the start of the function.

Doh! Thanks.

I’ve got a pot of coffee on. Pour you a cup? 8)