AlertWindow not listening to mouse in Live 8 / Windows

Hi all:

I am using a few AlertWindows in my plugin code, making use of the static methods for calling the windows. Things seem to be working great on the Mac. However, using Live 8.0.10 on the PC, my AlertWindow does not receive mouse clicks. The File Chooser I am using also does not receive mouse clicks. Hitting “return” on the keyboard works, but that doesn’t work for what I need.

Any idea what is going on here? How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sean

Utterly bizarre. Will try to find some time today to have a look…

THANKS! I’m going to bed now (3:15 am here), and will check the forum in the morning.

Sean

…sorry, I can’t reproduce this! I tried adding an AlertWindow to the demo plugin, but it’s fine.

Maybe try suggesting some code I can add to the demo that triggers the problem, and I’ll take another look.

[quote=“jules”]…sorry, I can’t reproduce this! I tried adding an AlertWindow to the demo plugin, but it’s fine.

Maybe try suggesting some code I can add to the demo that triggers the problem, and I’ll take another look.[/quote]

I added an Alert Window at the beginning of the Editor constructor, and I run into the same problem. Does this work for you? Also, what version of Live are you running?

Thanks,

Sean

The editor constructor would be a very dangerous place to start running modal loops! I tried one in the slider callback and it was fine.

I’m using Windows 7 and the latest version of Live 8.

Alright, where is the best place to start a modal loop for a copy protection window, then? I was launching the AlertWindows and such from the constructor, with a flag to see if they had been checked before (so they didn’t get launched several times in a row). Do you have any recommended places in the code where I should call these windows?

You should never launch any UI until your editor is actually visible on the screen - maybe start a timer when the editor is made visible, and do it in the timer. Or in response to a mouse-click or some other UI event. Never do it in response to any direct calls from the VST host, only in response to UI events.

I have tried calling the AlertWindows from the timerCallback() function in the JuceDemoPlugin, and this seems to do the job. The main trick I had to figure out was to call stopTimer() right before I called the AlertWindow, and to call startTimer(50) when the window has been clicked. So, I think this will work. Thanks!

Sean