Any colleges teach this stuff

Hey fellow jucers I’m currently trying to get into audio programming! I==. I currently go to college for computer science(java) have been learning c++ on the side. I currently bought the “getting started with juce” book, watching the audio programmer tutorials and currently taking the output tutorial on kadenze. However I was wondering though are there any colleges out there that teach c++ juce or programming plugins in general.

I think there are quite a few at this stage. We teach it at the institute I work at. It’s only a one semester module, a follow on from an introductory C++ module. We build some synths and affects, but it really only scratches the surface of what JUCE is capable of. If I had my way we’d be teaching them C++ through JUCE in semester one, but that’s outside of my control.

2 Likes

Belmont University in Nashville, TN has started offering classes about JUCE plugin building as well

1 Like

The Music Engineering program at the University of Miami’s Frost School of Music has a great program in every aspect of audio and music engineering.

1 Like

In the Digital Audio Effects module part of the MSc Sound and Music Computing programme at Queen Mary University of London. It is taught by the author of Audio Effects book that includes codes in JUCE. However, along with Getting Started with JUCE, almost every code is outdated. Here is a repo where the codes are up-to-date with JUCE 5.4 for the first book I mentioned.

Cheers.

There’s a list of universities using JUCE here https://juce.com/discover/made-with-juce

1 Like

thanks dude for your response… i was also looking for the same.
regards!!

1 Like

thanks man once I transfer from my 2 year college I might have to visit down there

I Just downloaded those repos how do I install them on mac

By the way, if DSP is part of what you’re interested in, it is not restricted to audio, but present in a a lot of far more lucrative engineering contexts, and therefore to be found in a lot of colleges that are not strictly dedicated to audio. JUCE is only one framework for it. If you’re interested in advanced audio plug-in design, it might be more relevant to look at the broader aspect of audio engineering and complex math, because implementing any particular algorithm as a processor in JUCE is going to be fairly trivial compared to understanding (or designing) the algorithm itself. I mean, that’s part of why JUCE exists and is popular. What it doesn’t do, at least as far as I’ve been able to dig, is offer any possibilities for audio manipulation that you couldn’t also realize in pure C. So, while it may be used and taught in some classes, I believe the very fact that it’s meant to simplify implementation means that an actual degree program would tend to focus on the algorithms themselves that are not so “simplifiable”.
I’m open to correction on this!

2 Likes