They interact with the JUCE API and tooling. Most of the people involved in these other activities do not. I think it would be much more productive to come up with some wider language which still makes it clear its about use of JUCE as a development framework instead of trying to narrow things down from the other side by listing artefact types which creating doesnt need a licence
We have example of companies doing things like automatically generating Lua bindings to JUCE. The large team of Lua developers are not using C++, nor are they compiling anything.
Yeah but trying to close that loophole will affect every other developer using JUCE negatively so I would just suck it up and congratulate them for doing a 100%-any software licensing speed run…
It is extremely hard to do that effectively in legal wording.
Let’s hope JUCE 7 doesn’t break within the next year until we have a replacement.
With JUCE 7 it’s possible to release a commercial product with a personal/free license, as long as the revenue does not exceed 50k. But now, if I understand correctly, this is not possible. The personal/free license cannot be used for commercial products. For any commercial product, no matter how small, we are expected to pay $50 per month. How in the world is that supposed to be “much more generous”?
It’s also extremely hard to build goodwill in a niche industry like this, but incredibly easy to lose it.
It is extremely hard to do that effectively in legal wording.
The JUCE 7 license was pretty good at that.
Looks like the other option is losing a ton of users and clients
Until which date are the current Juce 7 prices, including the perpetual license ($800) valid?
Is that until 17 May (30 days from now)?
As long as the total income of the individual, including completely unrelated things like selling a house, doesn’t exceed $50k. We want to get away from all the complexity of that.
what??? So the personal license can only be used if your yearly income is well below the cost of living and you don’t have another job?? Are you kidding me?
From the JUCE 7 EULA:
Revenue Limits are based on gross revenue, meaning all monies collected, including through funding, whether it be received in connection with your JUCE Applications or not, without offsets of any kind.
If you are using a personal licence, then it is personal income. We want to get away from this.
For JUCE 8 we have made the Personal tier completely free.
I’ll be interested to check back in about a year and see if this forum is anywhere near as active as it used to be. Best of luck to you.
I have a JUCE 7 indie licence purely for vanity reasons. I’m well under the $50k revenue limit for the personal. I mean, barely covering bandwidth costs level of revenue.
In JUCE 8 it’s not possible to release a commercial product without paying $50/month.
edit - oh, I just saw the other reply about personal income. that’s bonkers.
No you haven’t. The “Personal tier” can now not be used for commercial products. So it is not the same thing at all. You are just calling it the same and pretending, quite shamelessly I must add, to have improved things for us.
Yes. Bonkers, and something we have addressed in JUCE 8.
by completely removing the option?
Lowering the Indie/Pro threshold from 500,000 down to 200,000 can force users to switch license, meaning a raise of 50 to 175 per month = 350%. By a change of the rules, not by adjusting for inflation.
Getting a Juce 7 perpetual license now is cheaper than a few months Juce 8 Pro subscription (which also needs a year commitment).
The next surprise could be if the Pace SDK (which in my opinion should include Juce, given its price) will require Juce 8 within a year…
IIRC the Indie / Pro threshold was raised between JUCE 6 and 7 and now it’s back at JUCE 6 levels. Weird flex, but let’s book that under the spending spree during the last golden days of ROLI venture capital partying.
I really hope that you’re reevaluating some of the licensing decisions you made here internally. I think nobody will complain about price increases within the range of inflation, but most of the other changes are completely unacceptable and will destroy the framework going forward.
@t0m I believe that excluding beta testers and content providers from the obligation to have a JUCE license is the decent thing to do… otherwise, what will be next? Should we have to acquire a license for each copy of each plugin we sell? Please, be serious.