New licensing options

Hi, has Juce just become more expensive? I haven't got a license yet, but was under the impression that up until this evening it was £699 for a permanent license for desktop and tablet development... This has now gone up to $3000, which is a completely different ballgame...

Was the £699 for desktop only? The old site has gone so can't check what it was...

thx

Where do you see $3,000 ?

I see $999

http://www.juce.com/get-juce

Rail

$999 for desktop, $999 for android, $999 for iOS if you follow the link through to the purchasing screen....

Sorry, whats Grapefruit JUCE?

So we have to pay for a license to use the ProJucer? That's very disappointing. How long is this trial for the ProJucer?

My initial reaction to the new commercial licensing options is "meh, still not really interested". :-/ But will have to see...

Is the Projucer really something so good and revolutionary that Roli can confidently offer it as a commercial product? (Does it even run properly on Windows yet?) It "seems" neat based on the few demo videos I've seen but also has the "not really gonna use this for production work in the end"-feel about it...

From reading the contract, it appears that you are only allowed to use this on one computer at a time per licencse (What if you had build servers or release engineers compiling your code).  Am I reading this correctly?  Also, it is not stated, as it was in previous contracts, that you could use any versions up to the one you licensed.  

I acutally went on the website earlier today to purchase a license and found that the site was down.  I was excited at first since I figured it was because of the new Juce, but now I have mixed feelings (unless I misinterpreted the above).  Is it still possible to licences V3?

On a side note, I think the price is reasonable given the quality of the code.

We're actually still waiting for some LLVM-on-windows bugs to be fixed before we can properly build win32 code, but that should happen soon. And obviously this is only the initial release so there'll be a lot more work to be done, but we do absolutely intend it to become a serious tool!

It's our marketing-oriented catchy name for V4 :)

Sweet. Or is that sour? ;)

So it's 999 $ per developer and per platform (desktop, ios and android) ?

For a company, how do you buy multiple seats at once ?

(Just wondering, my licence includes version 4)

Thanks !

I've also got a license I bought about one year ago that covers version 4 but I don't understand how it applies to the new model.

Could you clarify the following questions?

- Does my license cover Grapefruit Juce? - hopefully yes

- Does my license cover all Grapefruit Juce platforms? - I hope yes, but it's really not clear to me

- Does my license include access to the Projucer? - I also hope yes, but I'd understand if not.

- Do I need to have a Roli account to use Grapefruit Juce/Projucer and how should I get one - or do I already have one?

Ditto! Come on Roli, your valued customers with V3+4 licenses purchased from Raw Material need to know where we stand, given your new licensing model.

It'll say in your license which versions are covered. There was a window of time where a v3 license would also cover v4, so you may have been lucky, but you'd have to look at your own copy to find out.

- Does my license cover Grapefruit Juce? - hopefully yes

Yes, that's just our trendy branding name for V4, so it's the same thing.

- Does my license cover all Grapefruit Juce platforms? - I hope yes, but it's really not clear to me

Good question.. Since the old licenses didn't mention platforms at all, I think it's fair to say that it does cover them all.

- Does my license include access to the Projucer? - I also hope yes, but I'd understand if not.

I'm glad you're understanding, because it doesn't! We're using that as a bit of leverage to hopefully get you to upgrade ;)

- Do I need to have a Roli account to use Grapefruit Juce/Projucer and how should I get one - or do I already have one?

If you mean "do I need a MyROLI account, or can I use my JUCE forum account?" then the answer is that our web guys haven't unified the user databases yet, so annoyingly, you will need to open a MyROLI account. Sign up is here: https://accounts.roli.com/en/users/sign_up

Or, if you mean "can I use the Projucer without any kind of account", the answer is "sort of..", because if you cancel its login screen then you can use the non-compiler features of it, which is basically the same as the Introjucer. But you will need to register a proper account if you want to use it properly.

Ok thank you very much for the clarification, Jules. 

+1, thanks for the clarifications Jules, and congrats on the V4 release. Projucer looks exciting.

Congratulations on the release! Lot's of things in here that I look forward to trying out.

I think the pricing on the website is a bit misleading - as it doesn't state until you go to purchase that the $999 price is actually per platform and per machine.

Also more details on upgrade pricing would be good. Is it an upgrade from v3 that is $599, or just users that have a v4 licence which does not include Projucer? How do we upgrade?

I have to echo the feelings of darrenw2112 - I think a per-developer license is fairer than per-machine, unless that part of the license only covers the "software" such as the Projucer, as opposed to the "source code" of the Juce library.

"- Does my license cover all Grapefruit Juce platforms? - I hope yes, but it's really not clear to me

Good question.. Since the old licenses didn't mention platforms at all, I think it's fair to say that it does cover them all. "

So, does this mean that if I'd bought a license on Tuesday it would have been £699 for all platforms and now it's $2997 for all platforms? That's quite a price hike... As an independent developer that takes Juce off the table for me realistically...

That is a great question.

unless that part of the license only covers the "software" such as the Projucer, as opposed to the "source code" of the Juce library.

Is it only for the Projucer (meaning can multiple people still use introjucer / modules within a company)?

Any upgrades will certainly be "full" ones that include the Projucer and any other niceties.