Audible clicks when changing Windows master volume

audio
windows

Hey there,

I’m just getting started with JUCE, and have created my basic learning project. I have a sine wave playing (using Maximilian), but whenever I change the master volume in Windows, I hear clicks in the sound.

I understand that changing the amplitude of the sine wave instantly would cause for a discontinuous wave, creating the click (so interpolation would be a solution, I guess?), but since it happens when changing the master volume in windows (outside of the program), that can’t be it, right?

Does anyone know why this happens, or what I can do about it?

Thanks!

Windows has never exactly been at the forefront of smoothly working audio, so it’s not really that surprising you are experiencing an issue like that.

If you need a properly working master volume, implement it with the necessary smoothed processing on your side.

Thanks for your response,

I’ve already implemented that, and that works fine, however, I can’t stop users from using the Windows master volume (since that’s just a knob/key on their keyboard). I don’t have these issues with any other VST either, so I feel like I’m doing something wrong.

EDIT:

I’ve tried changing the windows master volume while using the “test” sound in the Audio/MIDI options, and the same issue occurs. So I guess that means something else is wrong. No idea what though, as it only happens with my creation.

Are you using ASIO with those other softwares? JUCE does not add ASIO to the stand alone audio projects by default because you need the ASIO SDK separately installed.

Are you testing those other softwares also with a sine wave? Sines are notoriously good at exposing the slightest problem in the audio chain.

It would also be helpful to know how exactly are you testing your code? With the JUCE stand alone application “plugin” or as a real plugin within an ASIO host?

Are you testing those other softwares also with a sine wave? Sines are notoriously good at exposing the slightest problem in the audio chain.

Wow, TIL. It happens on other VST’s as well when I use a pure sine wave. I was testing both in FL Studio with ASIO drivers. I guess there’s not much to do about it then (I’m assuming it’s Windows’ fault), and it won’t be much of a problem either since I never noticed this with other VST’s before.

The master volume is entirely done by the Windows audio driver, it’s not something that applications can interfere with, so I guess you’ve just got a particularly crappy audio driver!

Also, it’s a curious ASIO driver if the Windows master volume control has an effect. Maybe Asio4All or something like that…?

It’s FL Studio ASIO. (Which I’m guessing is just a slightly modified Asio4All).
I tried it with Asio4All and had the same click noises.