Audiounit in Ableton:: "failed to create the AudioUnit 'xxx' This audiounit is not compatible. compatible audio format

My JUCE AU plugin ( on Mavericks ) passes AUVAL fine , opens and operates in AULab fine , Logic fine but not in Ableton.

I get : "failed to create the AudioUnit 'xxxxx'  This audiounit is not compatible. A compatible audio format could not be found." 

I''ve just compiled and run the JuceDemoPlugin in 64 bit mode inside XCode and that opens and runs fine in Ableton. 

And ideas guys ? 

Are you building your plugin as a 32/64 bit architecture? Sounds like maybe it's the wrong architecture for Ableton.

Its 64 bit and run on Ableton 64 bit mode.   i built your  JuceDemoPlugin in 64 bit too and that runs, opens fine in Ableton64

ouch....

No idea - not enough info here to guess what's wrong. Maybe something in your code is crashing when it's loaded?

nothing appears to crash.

the audiounit gets past creation. then some calls come in from the host querying various properties and then the alert message and the destructor of the AU gets called when the host  shuts the plugin down.  The editor never gets to be opened,   The AU never gets to have PrepareToPlay() called or its processBock().  Its as if ( as the error message suggests )  something about what Ableton has discovered about my AU

doesnt conform to what it expects "audio-format" wise ?  

Its a two-channel instrument plugin set up as a synth. 

I've been trying to track which properties get to be interrogated, but still no clue. I've been placing debug breakpoints in the apple AU superclasses etc.. 

hope this helps...

Is Abelton odd in any regard to how it opens AU plugins ? 

nothing appears to crash.

the audiounit gets past creation. then some calls come in from the host querying various properties and then the alert message and the destructor of the AU gets called when the host  shuts the plugin down.  The editor never gets to be opened,   The AU never gets to have PrepareToPlay() called or its processBock().  Its as if ( as the error message suggests )  something about what Ableton has discovered about my AU

doesnt conform to what it expects "audio-format" wise ?  

Its a two-channel instrument plugin set up as a synth. 

I've been trying to track which properties get to be interrogated, but still no clue. I've been placing debug breakpoints in the apple AU superclasses etc.. 

hope this helps...

Is Abelton odd in any regard to how it opens AU plugins ? 

If the JUCE demo plugin works in Ableton but your plugin doesn’t, it most certainly is something in your plugin.
Have you tried stripping your plugin down (use host GUI, remove/comment any member variables and method’s contents in AudioProcessor)?

just got this back from the Ableton developers - 

< One of our developers said that you’d get the error message if IO initialization fails while setting up the audio unit. He offered to help figuring out the reason why this fails if you’d send in the AU.

“The most likely problem is that the AU specifies a multichannel bus – Live only supports mono and stereo buses.
Other problems might be that the AU does not support changing its sample rate to Live’s one on all buses, or that it wants an unusual stream format on a bus, like interleaved stereo.

Here’s the list of AU calls that, when returning an error code, might cause the error described:

- AudioUnitGetPropertyInfo(), AudioUnitGetProperty() with
   kAudioUnitProperty_BusCount
   kAudioUnitProperty_SupportedNumChannels
   kAudioUnitProperty_StreamFormat
   kAudioUnitProperty_SampleRate

- AudioUnitSetProperty() with
  kAudioUnitProperty_StreamFormat
  kAudioUnitProperty_SampleRate”

Hopefully, this will help you solving the problem!

Regards,

Torsten Wendland
Ableton Support > 

Any particular place in the JuceAUWrapper  or my AudioProcessor that I should be looking at  Jules ? 

OK - solved it.  But i'll discuss it here since it does seem a bit "iffy" how configs and stuff have to be set up.

I think the "biggie" was that Ableton only accepts up to 32 mono  outputs. 

Since AU supports more than this ( KONTAKT supports up to 64 mono outs ) i had configured for 64 outputs. 

Here is MY JuceConfig data that worked for my AU in Ableton: 

#ifndef  JucePlugin_MaxNumInputChannels
 #define JucePlugin_MaxNumInputChannels    32
#endif
#ifndef  JucePlugin_MaxNumOutputChannels
 #define JucePlugin_MaxNumOutputChannels   32
#endif
#ifndef  JucePlugin_PreferredChannelConfigurations
 #define JucePlugin_PreferredChannelConfigurations   {1, 1}, {2, 2}, {32, 32}
#endif
#ifndef  JucePlugin_IsSynth
 #define JucePlugin_IsSynth                1
#endif
#ifndef  JucePlugin_WantsMidiInput
 #define JucePlugin_WantsMidiInput         1
#endif
#ifndef  JucePlugin_ProducesMidiOutput
 #define JucePlugin_ProducesMidiOutput     0

==============================================================================

But here is what I originally WANTED to have in my config but produced the error message in Ableton

#ifndef  JucePlugin_MaxNumInputChannels
 #define JucePlugin_MaxNumInputChannels    0
#endif
#ifndef  JucePlugin_MaxNumOutputChannels
 #define JucePlugin_MaxNumOutputChannels   64
#endif
#ifndef  JucePlugin_PreferredChannelConfigurations
 #define JucePlugin_PreferredChannelConfigurations   {0, 2}, {0, 64}
#endif
#ifndef  JucePlugin_IsSynth
 #define JucePlugin_IsSynth                1
#endif