Best way to process audio input with TE

I am creating a DAW type app that has multiple tracks. Audio is inputted via the microphone. Fundamental frequencies are estimated and then midi notes are created from the fundamental frequency, volume, and length of each discrete audio note.

I’ve got the basic functionality of the audio processing worked out in JUCE, but I would like to use the Tracktion Engine to build the app. I’m unsure how to integrate my JUCE stuff into TE. Should I make a JUCE “audio to midi” plugin and then add that plugin to my TE app? I would basically modify the TE RecordingDemo to use an “audio to midi” plugin I make in JUCE.

Or is it overkill to make an entire plugin for a “1 plugin app”? This seems like the most straightforward way to use the TE… but I am very new to all of this so I may be missing something.

That’s generally the best approach.
If you create a subclass of te::Plugin, you can register that with the Engine and have it create an instance of your plugin on a Track.

Tracktion Engine can then take care of all the device, input, sequencing, playback stuff and your plugin can take the audio and inject MIDI in to the mix bus where you can do what you want with it.

1 Like