Best way to sell plugins / VSTs via e-commerce

Want to eventually sell plugins, but curious easiest / best ways to do this.

Any favorite sites / online e-commerce apps that make it easy to do custom layouts, embed demo videos, take credit card, send download via email, etc?

2 Likes

We use Wordpress with Paddle for payments, elementor for page building, a service for licensing our plugins which I can’t name and MailChimp and Aws lambda for CRM automations. But I’m sure there are way easier solutions for starting out small.

2 Likes

I’m using a Jekyll back end (static html generator) into S3/CloudFront with a Stripe payment link. The payment link handles licensing using a Heroku Python webhook and emails via HelpScout. It’s pretty easy to work with, everything can be deployed through continuous integration which has been a real time saver. There are some pretty decent themes and everything can be edited using markdown. So pretty easy for a solo programmer to maintain.

You can be the judge if the end result is actually any good at all: https://apu.software/

4 Likes

If all you want is to sell your plug-ins and you don’t need your own website, itch.io is a great marketplace to do so!

3 Likes

that was shockingly easy to setup, thanks for recommending it

can vouch for this, its absolutely insane how easy itch.io is to set up!

Now I remember setting it up and later closing it because 100% of sales were coming direct from https://apu.software/ — it didn’t seem to get any traffic from itch itself so seemed pointless

Slightly offtopic: I wonder if anybody has any good experiences with CodeIgniter. I’m looking for a built-in user logging system and I’d rather have something built with a bit of security in mind. Regarding the payments, at the moment I am using very small javascript parts and a PHP backend to add paypal and stripe.The PHP part is the trickiest but I’ve found it useful to be able to collect statistics and deploy my own licensing system without paying extra to third parties. Credit card payments are handled directly by stripe or paypal.