Bug Report - TextEditor

JUCE 3.1.1 - iOS 8.1.3

In the JUCE Demo, open the app, go to the Code Editor, press inside the TextEditor. The caret shows up, but then everything freezes for about 3-5 seconds, then the virtual keyboard pops up, and everything's fine. It only happens the first time you use a text editor after you open the app. After that you can leave and come back to the text editor and the keyboard will pop up right away.

I tested this with JUCE 3.0.8 as well, and the bug was NOT there. So I'm assuming it has something to do with either the latest JUCE update, or the latest iOS update, which I believe came out after 3.0.8.

I took a look at the TextEditor class but didn't see any differences between 3.0.8 and 3.1.1. Any ideas where else I might look?

It doesn't sound like it'd be anything in juce that's blocking or waiting.. More likely it's the OS loading some kind of popup keyboard app the first time it's needed?

Not sure. But I tested it on a few other random non-JUCE apps and there's no delay. Where in JUCE does it signal the OS to show the keyboard? 

If you search for textInputRequired you should find all the places it happens.

You're right. It's a known Apple issue, that for most users (JUCE apps included) only happens when launching the app from Xcode. If I stop the debugger, close the app and relaunch from the iPad, it's fine. Shoulda done some googlin'. Sorry to bug.

1 Like