If any other MIDI FX devs out there have had issues with the M1 version of Logic Pro, I just wanted to share for your sanity that it’s probably not you, it’s Apple. I’ve hit some very strange MIDI FX bugs that appear to originate from the M1 version of Logic Pro itself, not from the plugin code or JUCE. The plugin in question is a free MIDI effect called Ripchord and the open source code can be viewed here: GitHub - trackbout/ripchord The latest released version of the plugin was built with JUCE 6.0.8, but I am currently testing with JUCE 6.1.5 and that is the version of JUCE I used to demonstrate the bug described below.
The most egregious bug is that when you load an instrument on a MIDI track in M1 Logic Pro, and then load Ripchord as a MIDI FX on the same track, it changes the pitch of the notes, sometimes it pitches them up, sometimes it pitches them down, sometimes it doesn’t happen at all. It is totally bizarre and unpredictable, and again, Ripchord works perfectly as expected in every other major DAW, on every other OS, even Logic Pro on an Intel Mac.
I made a screen recording of the bug where all I do is load an instance of Ripchord, which in its default state does not transform the MIDI notes at all, it just passes them through, and then I play the same three MIDI notes over and over, middle C, D, and E, but you can hear that when Ripchord is first loaded, the notes get pitched up, and then when it is powered off and on again, the notes get pitched down. Here is the screen recording: Dropbox - Logic Bug.mp4 - Simplify your life
I understand that numerous M1 Logic Pro specific bugs have already been reported to Apple, with little movement on Apple’s side thus far. I’ve also heard there is an Apple engineer floating around these forums so perhaps they could chime in!